B+W 801D

Well, I have been through a few speakers since I last posted here. I have never been able to hear the 801D and am looking for opinions from people who have actually heard this speaker.
Any and all input appreciated.
budt

Showing 8 responses by budt

Stringreen
You stated "I had them...fuzzy mids and lows, poor soundstage. I had to replace the tweeters a few times."
In one thread you said you owned the 802D and didn't like them. Now you say you owned the 801D also and basically kick the crap out of it. In yet another thread you state " I have never been a fan of B+W"..
Quit the bullshit already!!! I want to hear from objective listeners not people with an axe to grind.
06-15-09: Maineiac

I want to hear from objective listeners.
=I want to hear from people that agree with my purchase plan.
Maineiac (System | Threads | Answers)

NO, I am asking for objective assessments NOT emotional( I've got an axe to grind) ones . I have heard speakers that have had alot of great press but they simply weren't my cup of tea. I didn't go online and tell everyone they were crap.Calling something crap which clearly shouldn't be doesn't hold much water with me.I for one was never fond of Revel but just because I don't like them I do not insinuate they are crap.They simply are not my cup of tea.Perhaps it was the setup as I am sure top flight engineers wouldn't put of a crappy flagship speaker. I want to hear the pluses and minuses about this speaker.A thoughful response holds weight in my opinion. Inevitably when anyone posts about WIlson or B+W the axe grinders come out in hoards.
This is the reason I asked for responses from people who ACTUALLY heard the 801D.
I saw on another thread the main contributer to the thread which answered probably 10 posts on how they would sound NEVER EVEN ACTUALLY HEARD THE SPEAKER!!!Incredible,

I do appreciate Gregm's response.
No BS I tell it like it is. To these ears, B&W is not a musical speaker. I am a professional violinist and hear real music every day. As you pointed out, I am consistent in my opinion.

Now I look at this post of yours and I then ask myself:

why did this guy buy not just one pair of nautilusD but a second pair (according to your post)?
If true you obviously thought they were very good indeed to buy a second pair.Perhaps you are upset with customer service or something?

No, I stand by my assessment .In my opinion this simply doesn't add up.
I think you are the one who is upset cause you were obviously caught lying.You indicated that you owned them( the 801D).In a previous post you also claimed to have owned the 802D. In yet another post you claim to " I am not a fan of b+w".Anyone can look up your posts and clearly see what you previously stated.
So why would you buy 802D then the 801D if you think they are garbage?

I think the answer is VERY PLAIN for ALL to see.
What are some speakers which yopu feel easily trump the B+W's ? I was also strongly considering the larger tannoys but am open to suggestions.
Thanks for your insightful input.
However,is it possible to get top shelf sound out of these with proper system matching or do they have weaknesses that simply can't be overcome? Are there better obvious choices in your opinion? ie tannoy cantebury,wilson w/p 8,vandersteen 5a etc
I have heard a number of people who really seem to love those 5a's.Infact I can't really recall any real hostility towards the line. I will definitely make it a point of hearing them.
One for the main reasons I was inquiring about the 801D was that I currently have the 803D and am able to trade up at the dealer getting full value for my 803D's. Unfortunately he does stock that 801D so it would be a blind purchase.Thanks so much for your input as it is greatly appreciated.