B&W 801 s 3 or????

I am currently running B&W 801series3 /Lexicon MC8 Pre pro /Krell FPB 400 cx Amp/ McCormack UDP 1 front end. I like the way things are sounding right now. But I would like more effeciency from the speakers. At 87 db the 801's seem to lack prescence when listening to "large group" recordings. ie: Symphony Orchestra or Concert Band/ Wind Ensemble. The 801's sound spectauclar when listening to well recorded "studio" recordings.

My Question: Is there another FULL range speaker which posses the same type of sound characteristics, (Great bass, neutral mids and highs and very non fatigueing on the ears,) as the 801's, but is more efficient? I would probably get a good used speaker b/c the break in thing drives me crazy. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Thanks
oldpet

Showing 2 responses by steveaudio

I've had B&W M802 S3's for about 6 years. They too drove me crazy for a long time. I finally learned that they like lots of power; but it sounds like you might have that with your Krell amp(?). How good is your pre-amp, & front end (I don't know those components you listed)? That could be one place to look. Most speakers that I know of that would be good for orchestral music at full volume would also need lots of power (like Theil 3.6's). "Maybe"--& this is just a guess, different power amp(s) would do it. Seems a shame to give up on 801's.........
I agree with Jond in trying a tube pre-amp--I'm using a Cary SLP-98 with my M802's--love it. However, I forgot to mention that I first heard M801's about 8-10 years ago at a dealer, using all Krell electronics (I don't remember the exact Krell gear, but the most expensive stuff they made at the time). Awesome system!

One thing no one has asked is: How much are you willing to spend on new (used) speakers?