B&W 801 questions

I just acquired a nice pair of B&W 801 F. Pre matrix and sealed bass box. They sound great. Powering them with a ARC VT100 which even though they can take more power and are not efficient, play more than loud enough for me as I listen mostly at night at low levels. Looking for advise on upgrades. Perhaps with the crossover, either replacing the caps or some sort of external (north creek) type.
Would be nice if these had Bi-Wire ability but I don't want to invest thousands.

Thank you
vdosc

Showing 3 responses by vdosc

I have ordered a pair of sound anchor stands, anxiously awaiting there arrival.

Ct017, I am curious if you can describe the differences in actual sound between the 801f and the 801 S3 that you have in your system.

Thanks
Ct0517, I enjoyed reading your Experiments. I wanted to ad from my experience as a live sound engineer and system designer (which has been my career for 20 years now) We have found that with concert sound systems, we use the same type and model amp for powering the high, mids, and lows. It used to be considered ok to use a smaller amp on the highs lets say than on the mids or lows (in a 3-way system) but when using the same amp for all bands, they all work at the same pace. ie the same voltage gain, same slew rate, same damping factor, etc..
A few years ago I tried just for fun with my Martin Logans putting a VTL tube anp on the panels and a Mac amp on the woofers, and then vise versa. It was terrible. More like a bad combination of bookshelf and subs. Again both amps were good, but they responded much different than the other. So if one were to consider Bi-Amping, especially passive ( full range amps drive the low and hi inputs on the speaker crossovers) as opposed to active with and external electronic crossover, I would try it with matched amps.
Update, My upgrade fever has now turned to my room, I am re modeling my listening room. So currently my system is packed up while the work proceeds. I will post pictures and comments when its all done (if it ever is all done)