B&W 801 questions

I just acquired a nice pair of B&W 801 F. Pre matrix and sealed bass box. They sound great. Powering them with a ARC VT100 which even though they can take more power and are not efficient, play more than loud enough for me as I listen mostly at night at low levels. Looking for advise on upgrades. Perhaps with the crossover, either replacing the caps or some sort of external (north creek) type.
Would be nice if these had Bi-Wire ability but I don't want to invest thousands.

Thank you
vdosc

Showing 2 responses by micward

I also have a pair of 801s manufactured around 1999. I'm thinking of replacing the tweeters with the new diamond tweeter version as the original tweeters cracked and broke apart. Do you believe it is worth the investment? Can they be biwired as suggested for 1 amp to drive the bass and another amp to drive the mids and highs? these speakers are in a secondary system at a vacation house and I am not familiar with their design, but there are 4 posts for connecting at the bottom of the speakers, but I am assuming this does not make them biwire compatable. Any help would be appreciated.
CT0517,
Thank you for the response. The face of the tweeter, the metal dome, fractured and fell apart. The plastic ring holding it together also is broken. It may be best for me to contact a dealer to ask about the replacement parts and the degree of difficulty for the task.
I am interested in biwiring these speakers as I believe a tube amp would soften the sound through the mid and the highs. The solid state amps I am using control the drivers very well, but produce a harsh, overall sound that is tiring and unpleasant.
Good advice about stands and distance from the walls.