B & W 801 model type and amplifiers

Hello,
There is an original pair of 801 speakers for sale locally at 1100. I am going to take a look at them. Having moved to SET tubes some time ago I don't have much in the way of large solid state amps about; only one Bryston 2B with 60 watts.

What would be the minimum type of solid state, or tube amplifier to drive these beasts? Would a Threshold SA3 or Krell KSA50 (both pure class A with very good power supplies but only rated at 50 wattts) work with these speakers?

I would want to acquire a used solid state amp as they are such bargains. Levinson 27.5 is another amp I've used and like but the price is moving up to the 2 large region for that amp.
c123666

Showing 1 response by musicman159

I own a pair of 801 Matrix S3. When I was auditioning them back in 1997 the dealer hooke them up to a ML 332 (200 watts/ch). They sound really good. Them he replaced the amplifier with a ML 333 (300 watts/ch)/ The change in the sound was notroius. The spekars was full and the amplifier was able to control the speaker much better.

Right now I am running them with a pair of Sonic Frontiers Power 2 monoblocks (220 watts/ch tubes). They sound incredible. I am planning to go back to Solid State. I am a true believer of power specially current. To me the best amplifiers current wise are Threshold specially the S and SA e series. You should go minimum withthe S550e or SA4e but if you really want to make them sing a pair of SA10e or SA12e would be a dream system.