B&W 801 2or 3

I'am interested in fellow 801 users about what kind of amps works well with the 801's. I still believe this is still one of the greatest speakers evry made period. A true classic that is still awesome to listen to. I've owned many speakers of different types and I still come back to the 801's series two or three. I just can't believe you can get these so cheap. There way under priced on the used market. I like these also better than the new series. The new natilus cabinets look sort of cheap made compared to the matrix series. But there again all newer speakers look cheap on there fit and finish. Companies want more money for a lesser built product usually .Whats your opinion or thoughts on these "GREAT SPEAKERS" ?
sr65

Showing 2 responses by steveaudio

I've also noticed the used price of M801's--not that much more that M802's. My theory is their relative low price is due to their huge, heavy size, & how much power they need. And it must be very difficult to ship them, which limits their resale. And the looks--well, IMO, most people wouldn't call them "sexy", at least, they're not sleek looking like the Nautilus Series. But I think you're right in considering them a great speaker, & a bargain used, if you can deal with the size & need for big amps. Based on what I know about B&W speakers--they need lots of SS power to sound their best. Like.....Bryston 7BST's, the larger Krells, or the like. I'm thinking, hold out for SIII's, but then I've never heard the SII's. One of my first "high end" listening experiences was hearing M801SIII's at a dealer fed with the most expensive Krell gear they had. It was pretty amazing, wish I could remember the models of Krell CDP, pre, & power amps they were using. I own M802SIII's, & I keep thinking that they're a speaker that can "do just about anything", when fed with enough power, & matched with really high quality components upstream. Good luck; hopefully you'll hear from people who own M801's as well.
Jjmali, apparently I was unusually ignorant when i bought my M802's -:), so didn't really comprehend the need for a lot of power until recently. I have a 240 wpc C-J MF2500A coming this week, which I'm hoping will "do it for me". I also agree with Kevziek about how revealing they are. Sometimes I feel like owning these speakers is like "wearing a hair shirt"--they are great, but you may go insane trying to upgrade your other components to a level that will make them sound their best. The plus side is, you learn a lot about other components you try as you will hear everything. I've also just bought a Cary pre-amp; I'm hoping the SS power of the MF2500A with the tube warmth of the Cary will make for a nice combo. Pls. e-mail me if you have any more insights. I also like to learn more about the Northcreek crossovers. thanks, steve