B&W 800 D or 801 D?

Which one should I choose for the big room of nearly 50 sq.m? I was almost ready to go for Vanderteen when I heard the 802D (no 800 or 801 at my local dealers) and was incredibly suprised by the lack of any harshness or brightness (which audiophiles usualy scare each other with when it comes to B&W). The speakers sounded crystal clear and neutral and equally impressive on any kind of music. The dynamics were superb even driven by 100 Wt Classe amp. My idea is to use McIntosh 501 monoblocks in my big room anyway. The 801 looks incredible with it's 15 inch woofer and the price is better but I'm told it needs way too much power and can be slow on fast music. Is it even more power hungry than 800? Anyway, it's discontinued alltogether and vanished in the next Diamond series to hit the stores this year. Must be some reason for that or is it just economy and B&W don't need 2 closely-priced top of the line models?So basically - should I choose between current 800D and 801D or wait for the new 800 Diamond which could hit my bank account even harder.
antonkk

Showing 1 response by budt

How do you know the 801D is to be discontinued in the next generation of the 800 series?