B&W 704 S2 vs. 705 S2

I wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone had feedback on the B&W 704s vs. the 705s?  I think the vocals are better on the 705s but better midrange on the 704s?  

Any comments would be appreciated.

golfercurt
I was on the same boat, but I am happy with my pick of 704.  Here is the rationale...  People say the 705 has better tweeter (housing), but my experience of A-B test didn't show any meaningful difference.  I also later found out that the 704 tweeter has a metal housing as well, just not displayable like the 705 and inside the cabinet.  However, the base difference is pretty obvious to me with the right amp.  (I use Hegel H120).  704 produce much stronger, punchier base.  If you get the 705 (same price as the 704), you will HAVE TO add sub (and stands too). However, adding sub won't help on the mid-base much, it add extension (704 benefit from sub for that as well).  Thinking of the 705 mid-range/base driver has to deal with vocals and base, vs. on the 704, you delegate the base to the twin base drivers, and let mid-range doing what its good at. 

In the end, you will need to spend a lot more on 705, and the base is not likely to be well integrated as the 704. And for the tweeter, you will hard pressed to tell difference, if any.  And they both hold the same foot print.

Without a good amp, neither will shine.  So, I suggest to pay more attention on the electronics.
Must be no love for these here.

I have not heard the S2 models but owned a set of 703s more or less what the current 704s2 are with a different tweeter.

At the the time of ownership I demoed the 705s. With out question I would take the floor standing speakers. They just play bigger with better bass impact. I also like they way they look better.

Honestly though after owning the 703s there are simply better speakers than b&ws for the money, they are very colored and I found the mids fatiguing. But when I had them I liked them. The used market just make the sound for the money value even worse.

I think i bought my 703s for $2800 in 2005ish. I was in college and that is what I could afford. Almost bought klipsh RF7s. A year or two later I bought a pair of Thiel 2.4cs as dealer demos for $3400 locally off a dealer dropping the line for wilson audio.

I was dumb founded by how much better the thiels were. Not a little better here or there but plain out better everywhere. Like I went from a clock radio to a real system, not kidding.

My point is not to discourage the b&w perchase. If you like them who cares about anyone else, but demo, demo, demo.

I see focal 1028be on here new from dealers for $3900 (retail for $8k maybe?). They blow away the 703s and I can only assume the new models too. The midrange is so much more detailed and natural on the focals.

I gave the b&ws to my sister and she still has them and likes them. I still think they are pretty bad but keep it to myself. I hear them all the time when we get together for dinner. Wish I had better speakers to hand down lol.