B&K ST-140 vs ex-442 sound charactor

I currently have an st-140 (105 watt version) driving my Zu Omen Defs. I love the Tube like warmth and mellow presentation. I'm going to have the caps replaced. However, I have a chance on a one owner ex-442. Basically the same chasis and footprint as the 140, just with 200 watts ch. I really do not need extra power since the Omen Defs are extremely efficient. However, I was possibly thinking of purchasing the ex-442 and have Caps replaced and then just place it in my system since the amp has been pretty much papered by the one owner. I purchased my 140 used and not sure how many hands it has been in and it's a little "nicked" up. Just curious if there are any sound character differences between the two models?
aberyclark
Besides the  obvious power increase ,the EX442 has much more current capability. The ST 140 really doesn't like loads below 4 Ohms, probably not an issue with your current speakers.
similar sound with more power.   the 442 is considered by many to be one of  b&k's best amp.. if the price is right, go for it
Thanks for feedback. I think I'll pick the amp up. I'll try it out, if it does not suit my system, then I'll just have the 140 updated. I really like the B&K amp I have. Very musical. 
I owned the ST-140 for some 25 years. A great budget amplifier. Also heard the 442. As tomtab said, it is sonically similar however provides more power.  
The original ST-140 model...70w/ch one with the gold-colored handles deivered the sweetest sounds...all higher powered models i have heard were harder sounding.
The same person also has a CJ Mf-80 that he will sell me ($700) in perfect working order. Would that be a better buy than the ex442 for $300 for the long term?
I've had the B&K ST 140, the B&K M200's and the c-j MF 80 (amongst others) in my system. It really depends on your speakers, room, preferences, etc. BTW, $700 for the MF 80 is no bargain.
I've come to learn after research that $770 is a bit much. I have found them for less than $500 online
If you are happy with your B&K ST-140, stay with B&K. DO you have an estimated cost to have the caps replaced in these units? 
If you are happy with your B&K ST-140, stay with B&K. DO you have an estimated cost to have the caps replaced in these units?

About $250 and that includes installing a new, longer power cord. The current cord is fine, however, it's about 4 inches too short. The repair person suggested doing all caps at same time. One of the caps is "swelling" a little. 

I've only heard the Zu's briefly at shows, so I can't comment on their particular  considerations. While the ST 140 is lovely amp for it's price and limitations, both the B&K EX442 and the c-j MF 80 share a similar sonic character, but are better. The EX44s will tighten the bottom end,  and allow for greater flexibility should you change speakers. The MF 80 is similar to the ST140 in power and sound,  but better in every way. B&K is out of business, but service should still not be too difficult to come by if needed, c-j is of course still thriving.
I've only heard the Zu's briefly at shows, so I can't comment on their particular  considerations. While the ST 140 is lovely amp for it's price and limitations, both the B&K EX442 and the c-j MF 80 share a similar sonic character, but are better. The EX44s will tighten the bottom end,  and allow for greater flexibility should you change speakers. The MF 80 is similar to the ST140 in power and sound, but better in every way. B&K is out of business, but service should still not be too difficult to come by if needed, c-j is of course still thriving.
Thanks for feedback. Conrad Johson SS amps get very high praises. The 442 looks to be the better deal. 
So it seems would cost you $550 to own a refurbished EX442, vs. $250 for a refurbished St-140. You like the B&K sound with your speakers. You seem to have the $300 in your audio budget. The EX442 may, and possibly be likely, to prove better in your system. As aberyclark mentions the extra power will not hurt and might prove beneficial should you purchase different speakers. It seems that the only debate you have is the possibility that the $300 might be better spent on upgrades else where in your system. That debate could well be left for later. The ST-140 could be sold to recover some of the cost.

As, based on your original post, I am inclined to believe you WANT the EX442, go for it.

As, based on your original post, I am inclined to believe you WANT the EX442, go for it.

Yes. In the scheme of things, $550 is dirt cheap for an amp plus I already know the general sound characteristics. 
unsound,   how do you figure b&k is out of business.   i was just on their web site.  they seem to be there. 
B&K was purchased and never has started back up. The web site has been the same for the last few years. 
I see this is an old thread, so would like to know how you made out.

I owned both the 105 wpc ST140 (silver handles) and the EX442 Sonata but not at the same time and used to sell these amps at the retail level many years back.  I believe the difference between the EX442 and 442 Sonata is more current.  Both are 200 wpc but I believe the Sonata is 75 amps peak to peak and the EX442 is only 60 amps.  I believe the Sonata also has higher power going into 4 ohms too.

Sonically from recollection the ST140 might be a little sweeter and the Sonata much beefier sounding, but both are very tubey sounding.  For $300 for an EX442, you can't go wrong.  

Be careful when re-capping.  I've read that certain caps can make them more neutral sounding and lose the sweet sounding nature of these amps.