B&K ST-140 vs ex-442 sound charactor

I currently have an st-140 (105 watt version) driving my Zu Omen Defs. I love the Tube like warmth and mellow presentation. I'm going to have the caps replaced. However, I have a chance on a one owner ex-442. Basically the same chasis and footprint as the 140, just with 200 watts ch. I really do not need extra power since the Omen Defs are extremely efficient. However, I was possibly thinking of purchasing the ex-442 and have Caps replaced and then just place it in my system since the amp has been pretty much papered by the one owner. I purchased my 140 used and not sure how many hands it has been in and it's a little "nicked" up. Just curious if there are any sound character differences between the two models?
aberyclark

Showing 3 responses by unsound

Besides the  obvious power increase ,the EX442 has much more current capability. The ST 140 really doesn't like loads below 4 Ohms, probably not an issue with your current speakers.
I've had the B&K ST 140, the B&K M200's and the c-j MF 80 (amongst others) in my system. It really depends on your speakers, room, preferences, etc. BTW, $700 for the MF 80 is no bargain.
I've only heard the Zu's briefly at shows, so I can't comment on their particular  considerations. While the ST 140 is lovely amp for it's price and limitations, both the B&K EX442 and the c-j MF 80 share a similar sonic character, but are better. The EX44s will tighten the bottom end,  and allow for greater flexibility should you change speakers. The MF 80 is similar to the ST140 in power and sound,  but better in every way. B&K is out of business, but service should still not be too difficult to come by if needed, c-j is of course still thriving.