B&K EX 4420 vs B&K EX 4420 reference

Looking at the specs, these two amps seem to have the same numbers. Any idea what the difference is?
Thanks 
skipper320
I know this is a slightly older thread but I'm going to respond since I like B&K products a great deal. Here is how it goes. The difference between the B&K EX4420 and the B&K Reference 4420 is the Reference is newer and puts out 225 watts per channel where as the EX4220 is an older amp and is rated 200 wpc. They share very similiar designs but strictly my opinion on sound quality, I would give the older EX4420 the final nod and thats the one I own.
I owned a B&K EX4420 at the same time as the Reference 4430(3 channel) and the EX4420 seemed to have a bit more punch and refinement due to it being biased more class A or because it was a 2 channel amp vs 3 channel.  Not sure the reason though but that is what I experienced.

Both the EX4420 and REF 4420 are probably 95% the same amp mainly cosmetic from what I can tell.

Bill
Willland your first sentence nailed it and reflects my opinion as well,  well put.
" Willland your first sentence nailed it and reflects my opinion as well, well put."

@phd,

Thanks for the kind words.  I miss the EX4420.  It served we well and was a great trade for a Revel B15 subwoofer that has been rock solid.

Bill

Bill I have my B&K EX4420 hooked up to the Adcom GFP 565 preamp, you know the Stereophile Class B Adcom pre. Anyway these older components sound amazing together. I have two systems I like them both equally even though one is more expensive.

I am looking at one for on this site, for sale now- do you have any idea of what I would expect for repairs to keep it running another 10 years? 

Spare right & left circuit boards would be nice to have. My former EX4420 was a nice sounding amp I enjoyed for over 20+ years. It got rather hot and parts inside degraded over time, hum. Had the boards repaired multiple times until I sold it for parts, unfortunately. ATI amplifiers bought B&K brand, and designs, seemingly no leftover parts. Called them multiple times with little luck or interest on their part. 

I once owned the B&K ST140. Purchased in 1985. Around 2010 before B&K went out of business I call then about a check up and possible refurbish. They said that it would need new output boards as the trannys were no longer available.  I truly like that amp, thought it to be one of the best amplifiers available under $1000 at that time. I was able to purchase it with a B&K Pro10 MC preamp from a dealer friend of mine for $850.  I later heard the EX442 which had greater power in his store, also great at it's price. I believe it to be the fore runner to the EX4420. 

@mendef All that said, I believe I would look for a used amplifier of more recent vintage.