B&K AVR307 used or other new AVR?

Interested in opinions about the B&K 307 vs. new, other brand HT receivers in the $800 price range. Lots of power and all the features that I can imagine wanting. But I realize that this being my first HT, I may one day miss some of the new bells and whistles on today's current crop. Sound in two channels is a strong consideration. The used price of the B&K seems like extraordinary value. Will power Totem Dreamcatcher 5.1 system. Thanks to all.
frogman

Showing 1 response by frogman

Well, I just received an AVR307 in the mail; an impressive looking thing. I won't get a chance to test all it's functions and features for quite some time since my HT won't go up until the room is finished. So I welcome any suggestions as to what to look out for in the context of my main 2 channel system. I don't want to wait too long to at least partially test it since I obviously bought used and need to identify possible malfunction due to shipping or other. I do have a specific question about the unit at this time:

I read a reference in one of the forums about the ability to use the two unused speaker terminals (when doing 5.1) for Zone 2. Can't find any mention of this in the manual; only a Zone 2 preamp output for use with
an external amplifier. IOW, can the two unused amp channels in a 5.1 setup be used to power a Zone 2 source component?

Thank you all for your responses.