B and W: CM10 S2 vs 805 D3 with a sub

Hey All,

I’m thinking about picking up a pair of one of these speakers. I really dig the CM10 S2s and their awesome bass presence. I tried the 804 D3s, and was really impressed by the clarity and the amazing reproduction/treatment of the human voice. I’m thinking I can get the awesome bass of (or even better) of the CM10 S2s, by using a sub, and get the impressive clarity of the 804 D3s, by using the 805 D3s. Put the 805 D3s together with a sub and theoretically I should exceed the performance of the CM10 Ss and the 804 D3s? I hope.

Anything I should be considering when making this choice? Is there any advantage to keeping my bass within the speaker (as in CM10 S2) vs outsourcing the bass to a sub? Am correct to assume better performance from the 805 D3 with sub vs the CM10 S2?

Thoughts from the community?
defjam
Hey Defjam, I know this thread is old and not sure if you still visit Audiogon forums. But I came across this discussion started by you and was wondering what floor standers did you go with in the end (which give you good bass without sub)? overall is the sound you getting from these floor standers better than B&W CM10 s2? Thanks
I owned a pair of B&W Signature 805's which I then integrated with a Velodyne DD10. I did get it work but it never quite sounded  as coherent and seamless as a floor stander. I eventually sold the Velodyne and just let the 805's go solo. Those are some great monitors, get them set up correctly and I think you'll be impressed. What you lose in bass you'll make up with great imaging and sound-staging.

Good luck

Follow up: I didn't buy any of the B&Ws. I went with a different brand of floor standers and I don't use a sub with them. Bass is good without the sub.