Ayre MX-R upgrade costs?

Hi All,

Just wondering what the going rate is to upgrade a pair of MX-R to twenty series spec in whatever currency you transact with, and is it worth the money?

thanks in advance and all feedback welcome
izz0

Showing 1 response by tomic601

i went thru this about 3 years ( maybe 4.. memory is fleeting ) when my VX-R died. Amp was under warranty but I elected to upgrade to the Twenty series which utilizes the double diamond circuit AND eliminates the troublesome On Semiconductor Thermal Trak output devices...a great idea but not reliable....
upgrade at that time was $6 K USD retail delta between two amplifiers. The VX is a stereo amp, new amplifier boards required. Took two weeks and the Twenty proved to me anyway a worthy upgrade- the old amp sounded best left on, twenty sounded fantastic 20 minutes after turn on
notable sonic changes with Vandersteen 7 were a more fleshed out midrange and clear treble extension almost from cold. Bass and particular mid bass better deliniated and punchy....
I always had in my long range plan to upgrade to the Vandersteen M7 monoblocks, which I did with a fantastic trade in on the VX- R
enjoy ! IMO the twenty series Ayre is world class and so are MXR/ VXR