Ayre K5xe vs BAT Pre

So I am about to pick up my first BAT product, a VK-500. I am currently using an Ayre C5xeMP to Ayre K5xe to VK-500 to Magnepan 1.6. My question is would it be a positive move I get a BAT pre instead of the Ayre. I don't know a ton about the BAT pre line but would think that the Ayre would be more detailed. Would the imagining improve with say a BAT 32se? I know it's all about synergy but is bat suppose to be a higher level product in comparison to Ayre? Thanks
harri009

Showing 3 responses by zd542

Both brands are excellent. I've had pieces from each one and I prefer Ayre. I don't see myself switching to any other brand. Looking at your system, I feel your weakest component is your 1.6's. I had a pair of them for about a year. Felt that they are very overrated. You won't see the full potential of your other components with the 1.6's in your system.
"Thanks, so just like all equipment it seems to be more personal preference than one being better."

Your absolutely right about that. Whatever you end up with, BAT or Ayre, I feel you win either way. At their given price points, both companies make products that are state of the art. There are some other great companies out there, as well, but I don't think there’s anything better; just different.

I don't mean to put your 1.6's down in any way. I've owned them and was just giving my honest opinion. Also, I forgot to ask, why a BAT 500? Your source and preamp are Ayre. Why not consider a V5? Needless to say, it will be a synergistic match. You do state in your original post that imaging is very important. If that’s the case, I can tell you that I have 2 V5's in my system and the imaging is better than anything I have ever heard; tube or solid state. Keep in mind, though, all components contribute to a systems imaging.
The VK500 is a great amp. Even though the Ayre should be the best match for synergy, the BAT should mate very well with your current setup. I can't imagine you not getting good results with it in your system. Its also a very unique amp. Its actually 2 mono amps in one box. I don't know of any other amp that is designed like that.

If you don't mind, can you post what you think of it once you have had a chance to listen to it. I'm interested on how it compares to your Emotiva.