Ayre C5xe or APL 3910 ?

I not too long ago heard the Ayre C5xe and was totally blown away on all formats at the amount of resolution, detail retrieval and it's dynamic yet smooth sound. I must admit I'm ready to pull the trigger on it, but before I do just wanted to know if there is anything better in it's price class of $6K or less. So far what comes to mind is the APL 3910 at $5K but there is no way I can possibly audition one of these so I would like some insight from those of you who have heard both players. Please, lend me your golden ears!
orjazzm

Showing 1 response by duffydawg

Hi Orjazzm,

I have heared the Ayre on a couple of occasions at a dealer. While I have a Ayre K1x pre-amp that I love, I have not been overly enthused about the Ayre player. At the dealer where I listened to the Ayre, my clear preferance was the Shanling T-300. It was to me the best sound there by a good margin.

I have bought a APL Denon 3910 used (here), that was sold by an individual who I believe did not like the sound. I have loved 90% of what this player is doing, but have been working on cables to better portray the players ability (I had silver cables in my system trying to improve the speed and upper detail of an older Rega Planet). I now have my cables sorted out, and can say that the player has extreme accuracy, tonal balance, and inner detail. I believe the APL equals or exceeds the performance of the T-300.

I have sent the player off to Alex at APL for the latest chip to be installed. I think I will be very happy with the outcome, although I am missing my music while the player is gone.

The most impresive player that I have heard, for my tastes, is the Linn CD12. I do not have the luxury to afford one. However, the APL is very close, and I can not say how close without hearing the two side by side.

Good luck on your journey,

DuffyDawg