Ayre C 5xe Universal vs. Cary 306 SACD

Has anyone done a direct (as in same system), thorough comparison of these two players? If so, please let us know if you were able to compare their performance on both red book CD's and SACD’s and how it turned out. Some back ground about the setup, gear, music material, etc. would be helpful, too. Thanks.
kalan

Showing 4 responses by theo

I haven't done a comparision in the same system but have listened to both. The Cary thru McIntosh Pre-amp and amp with JM electra speakers. The Ayre through Ayre Pre amp and amp with Linn Akurate Speakers. I had a Linn Ikemi which I just sold and the Ayre was much more detailed than the Ikemi which I felt was a great redbook cd player.
I currently have the Ayre on order. I just couldn't get to like the harmonics of the Cary, is didn't have the open or detail tha I felt it should. The Electras are a good sounding speaker and they sounded less involving with the Cary. Music was a Patrica Barber, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Roxy Music and what ever they had at the stores.
Hope this helps
Kalan
If you already ownthe CX7 then have grown to appreciate the Ayre sound. I think you would be happier in the long run with the C5xe. I know I am patiently waiting for the C5xe to hit my doorstep. 5 week wait. I do know my local dealer just received another one that the customer didn't take. It is available for quick sale. I am waiting for a black face one or would have one already.
Kalan, I think it ios gorgeous in black. I don't understand why Ayre doen't have pic's anywhere. I luckily live 45 miles from Boulder and happened to call Ayre the day they were finishing a C5xe in black for shipment. They asked if I could be there by 3PM to seeit befoire they boxed and shipped it. Great people and it was love at first sight.
Kalan, I have had the C5xe for about 10 days now and I believe it is burned in pretty good. I have had it playing day and night for about 5 days and it sounding unbelieveably good. I am rediscovering my CD collection.
I have not played one disc that I haven't noticed some little nuance, back ground vocal or instrument that I had not heard before. The tonal presentation is hard to describe, it has such a "natural" sound. The space between the instruments has grown but filled with the added expansion of each sound. I am sure that doesn't describe it well but the bottom line is no regrets. I owned a Linn Ikemi which I felt was great player but this Ayre just pushed the memory of it to far reaches of my mind. I could not imagine many players that would sound better for less that 10K or more!