Axpona 2022

I attended the show yesterday. I did enjoyed it   My favorite room is the Nenuphar,room with silversmith Cables.I think they are using Pass labs or ayre gear sorry I can’t remember..For the first time magico Speakers And synergistic Cables impress me big time..Audiokinesis Plexi box speakers sounds are mimicking the nenuphar basis 26 k. The Piega room with Rose gears is amazing.

128x128jayctoy

I am also intrigued by this video.

My Scaena has mother pearl color but with 18 inches woofers.

I may try crazy idea of mating Scaena tower with Altec A7 woofer.:cool:

I bought all the travel packages and Axpona tickets last year.

But it got cancelled.

This year I could not go since I had something to take care of.

I have yet to assemble Scaena 3.2 that I had bought used 2 years ago.

But I am getting addicted to Altec A7 with active bi amping right now.

It is fun to tune it.

It would have been nice if I could go there this year.

Thomas

Apparently the new Aavik amps running the Borressens (my favorite speakers at the show) are class D, using Pascal modules. Well outside of my price range but it's exciting to see them embrace class D.

The Vivid Giya G1 were amazing, and rounding out my favorites from this show would be the Janszen Audio Valentina A8 active towers.

We (ATC) were up on #15 near MBL and we haven't been mentioned either-although we were packed all three days, We also had larger speaker down on the main floor in the Auralic Room.  We had 40 passives and 19 actives on 15 in two rooms and 100 actives down in Auralic.  That Auralic room sounded very nice to me, although they were playing a lot of electronic music, not much traditional "audiophile" stuff.

Brad 

Post removed 

My favorite room is the Nenuphar,room with silversmith Cables.I think they are using Pass labs or ayre gear sorry I can’t remember

You got to hear Nelson's Beast With 1000 JFETS!  Congrats, I'm jealous.

@kingbarbuda 

Nice score!  I was hoping to get back on Sunday and see what kind of deals were around but just couldn't make it happen.  Do you mind telling us what kind of end-of-show discount you managed?  Or, maybe I don't want to know!

The new KRELL KSA-400i amp has me very interested about spending more than I can afford. I have the KRELL Duo 175XD (love them). These new amps are supposed to be the next level up from my amp.

I bought the demo chrome AGD Audion Mk2 amps from Alberto at AXPONA. After a little post AXPONA delay I hooked them up to my system tonight. I immediately noticed a very obvious expansion in the width of the soundstage as compared to my other amps and integrateds. I even got up twice out of my listening position to check to make sure everything was ok with my Magico A3s and my pair of RELs! It was a wow moment. I am still evaluating all the other characteristics in my system. But so far I am even more impressed with the AGD Audion Mk2s in my system as compared to in the AGD room at AXPONA.

Glad to read so much love for the AGD room.  I was lucky to buy the Vivace amps and the Ocean Way Eureka studio monitors in February 2020 at the Tampa show...I wish Covid never happened but we did have an amazing system to watch too many movies, listen to too many songs, albums, etc.  Not one ounce or cent of regret.  Also got lucky that the AGD founder was able to bring the gear to my house, we A/B tested with my Rotel amp & KEF Reference 1. It was an easy decision for the AGDs.  Then we had an awesome Italian meal at a local restaurant.  audition__audio grannyring  jetter  kingbarbuda

Responding to this earlier comment by jan_mc:

https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/2379944

I thought I would correct the mistake regarding the price.

The Linkwitz LX521 speaker system, the one demoed at the show by me and others, costs just under $20k depending on the finish that you choose. This includes the speakers, cabling, 10 channels of Hypex nCore amplifiers, and an analog active crossover system.

Because the crossover is an active analog one, the only input option is balanced analog signal. The system takes care of everything that is needed after your preamp or DAC (any volume controlled source will work). It’s a turn-key system, that is you just connect everything and play. Takes 10 minutes to set up. For the price you are actually getting quite a lot of high performance gear.

-Charlie

Grannyring i agree ,it’s very disappointing many room like the one on the ground floor , the MCIntosh room and B&w room, the Sonus Faber And Boulder, Wilson room both by Quintessence   I will talk to Mike who own quintessence about the loudness of those rooms.I go to his store.

Had a great time on Friday.  Unfortunately, had to rush through in only 5 hrs - bummer.  Had a 2 day ticket but just couldn't make it back.  Missed quite a bit.  One of my favs was the AGD room with the Ocean wave stand mounts - really impressive IMO.  Didn't really like the MBL room 3 yrs ago but this time was different.  Sounded great!  Trying to put together all of my thoughts and report back for those interested.  

@twoleftears I missed those rooms.  Still, I went to a bunch of rooms and did not come across class D amplification.  Was kinda surprised.

Attended Friday and Saturday.

Bad stuff:

Drive up from Indy went pretty good -until I hit road construction in Chicago area.

Thought show was very disorganized:

No Axpona signs in parking lot, No "this way to show" signs upon entering from remote doorways.

Extreme walk from parking lot (Next year, get some Rickshaws -I'll pay).

One bank of elevators (slowest I've seen).

Everyone used stairways. No signage in stairwells telling you to "go no further" (one stairwell did have a sign, three didn't). You descend down three flights to a door that says "No Exit", then you ascend back up three flights. 

Overpriced food, $5 bottled tap water (could have at least had spring water). Pros expect to overpay as they can deduct it. I can't.

Equipment I wanted to see not on display (BAT VK-80i int, Pass Labs XA-25, Large Eikon speakers (not playing).

Blues Show (8 p.m.) was WAY to frickn' loud (rhythm section) and the spotlight for the singer reflected off bass drum-head directly into my eyes (third row). left after 10 min.

Just tons of little "piddly" things that got on my nerves.

Good stuff:

The Raidho/Esoteric room -excellent sound until you see price tag.

Liked the Harmon room with Revel F328Be speakers.

The Cabasse room had $30K "Eyeball" speakers -Awesome dynamics!

Got to see Wilson Wamm #1 (fully restored and playing).

The Vinnie Rossi room had good sound (Qln speakers) but, again, that silly sticker shock.

Heard some ATC SCM50 (believe they were "Active" model) -Great stuff

Finally, got to meet "Uncle Kevin" (Upscale Audio). Nice man.

Also saw, but did not meet, Kevin's lovely Analog Manager Kat Ourlian (what style!).

Think this is my last Audio Show. 

Audition audio are  you referring to plex I box speakers?I like sound in that room, when the white speakers were connected .

Yeah the Atmasphere class d amps didn't show well and personally I think it was because of the speakers. Hopefully when my dealer gets them in will get to borrow them and have a proper listen.

I was a little underwhelmed by MBL but I’ve never heard them before and was maybe expecting something else. Does anyone else think the top dynamic speakers are better as well? 

Yes the speakers used in the Atma-sphere room were single driver designs with thin plastic like enclosures. The drivers looked like Lowthers to me with whizzers. 

The comments found elsewhere on the Klipsch 2022 Axpona 2022 room seem to be universal in what the participants heard. My interest is in "who was calling the shots" as far as the music being played, i.e., was it Roy D. (the Jub designer, who was said to be in-room) or some Klipsch or dealer marketing guy?

One comment elsewhere mentioned said that they listened to Tool’s 10,000 days (i.e., an album having a Dynamic Range DB rating of DR=8). This probably isn’t the way to demo a top-of-the-line loudspeaker having the kind of dynamic range capability/low modulation distortion as this fully horn-loaded loudspeaker exhibiting full-range controlled directivity. Additionally, like any loudspeakers in real listening rooms, some amount of acoustic treatment and dialing in is required--even with Jubilees (in my 15 year experience using them in-room).

In my past evaluating experiences with Mr. D. and the "underground Jubs" in Hope, AR more than a dozen years ago, those invited to attend used James Newton Howard & Friends (DR=19 or 20), Flim & the BB’s, Tracy Chapman, Jennifer Warnes, etc. as reference in-room subjective listening tracks as we tried out various configurations, of DSP PEQs and crossovers, high frequency drivers, different bass bin configurations, and upstream electronics--tubes, etc. In these trials, the Jubs were the most revealing loudspeakers (in a clarity sense) of the recordings themselves that I’ve experienced--and I lived with dipole panel loudspeakers for 20 years. "Neutral", "articulate", "clear" as well as "balanced" were the words that come to mind, and not "party speakers".

In other words, "Tool" wasn’t on the playlist--certainly not by any stretch of the imagination. I would have left the room if Tool or any other metal rock band was played. I wonder what happened this past weekend?

Chris

Have to agree, some rooms were too loud but some were too soft .  Again, personal opinion. Surprised no one has mentioned MBL. I think once again, tops of the show.  Estelon with the new Krell amp was excellent. I'm going to make some enemies here but many of the rooms playing vinyl were just not good. One particular room, can't remember which, had so many cracks and pops all I needed was some milk and a spoon. The Aidas with the vinyl piece that  I heard was awful. When playing digital it was wonderful. My wife even commented on the difference. I also thought Atohm was again great at it's price point. Speaking about price, the old school "stacked" Warfdale Lintons were a lot of fun for just $3300. The Elacs packed a big base punch. Was disappointed with the Von Schweikert room. The big Klipsch were just, well,  not good.  Burmester was easily the King of Bling. Overall, it was just great to be back again. Good or bad it was three days of fun and enjoyment.

@ audition_audio

spot on regarding the Stenheim speakers. I think the speakers used in the Atma-sphere room were the single driver voxativ speakers. Can someone else confirm that ? 

One pair of smaller Stenheim speakers ($ 72K) sounded excellent with tubed electronics from Sweden or one of those other cold places. The very big Stenheims sounded very boxy in one of the larger rooms with, I believe, S.S. electronics. 

With the speakers used in the Atma-sphere room I couldnt gather any impression about the amps and associated electronics. The AGD room was superb, although I wouldnt call their amps Class D.

@jaymark Both AGD and Atmasphere were there with class D amps.  Don't know about others.

Could anyone elaborate more on how the Stenheim speakers sounded?

The Borresen and Atohm rooms were focused on displaying these speaker’s huge and explosive sound in a small package. Sort off showing off sonic feats of strength. Yes, impressive in how they seemed to defy the laws of physics with their small drivers. Did they engage us musically? No. All head, no heart and soul to us.

Many others loved them! No right or wrong as this just shows how subjective this hobby is.

Most of the rooms were simply too loud to enjoy forcing us out! This needs to be addressed in my opinion. When lowered by 3-6db all would be far better.  

I find this hobby so interesting.  Reviewers on YouTube are saying the two large Wilson rooms sounded fantastic and impressive. My wife and I could not enjoy the music in these rooms.  Not at all engaging and rather reproduced and electronic sounding to our ears. 

In fact most of the big dollar rooms sounded this way to us. We felt many of the smaller speakers and systems sounded best at the show. Examples include Ocean Wave Audio in the AGD room, Valorem stand mount speakers and Alta Audio Adam speakers in three different rooms sounded wonderful.  

I tested 3 times with rapid to confirm that I didnt have covid before going to the show and you dont have to thank me for doing the right thing. I hope we have moved passed these type of platitudes.

Mahler123, I deeply appreciate your very caring responsible decision, Iam sure many are happy you stayed home. Thank you.since I enjoyed this Axpona 2022, I will attend 3all three days next year.

I was going to go, but then had a scratchy throat, did a home test, guess what…confirmed by PCR.  It’s a pretty mild case.  You all can thank me for testing.  At any rate AXPONA refunded my credit card after I showed them the PCR results, which is first rate on their part, which is the main reason that I am posting this

Yeah it doesnt make sense to take CDs to these shows any longer. So I just take vinyl. If you think you will continue with CDs in the near future get ready for some really good deals on exotic transports.

jayctoy

Thank You for this thread. I have been watching Coverage on Youtube.

It will be a good thing to attend Audio Shows again,

Happy Listening!

To the best of knowledge Mon are new to the U.S., but I am sure you could contact them directly if truly interested. His top tier speakers struck me as a real bargain. Dont forget those stands which may be critical are going to be expensive. 

jan mc  the Linkwitz they sound good but they are not musically involving for my taste, they are 65k according to the demo guy.

I thought the Linkwitz speakers sounded better than most, especially when you consider the price. They really made me want to hear more open baffle systems.

My best rooms included both Wilson rooms. Legacy is always great. Atohm/Atoll room is fantastic. Mon speakers were fantastic. I can't find them online anywhere. If someone knows where to fin that let me know. Muraudio was fantastic. Martin Logan 15a powered by Luxman was great. Revel powered by MarK Levinson was awesome too. Many more but these were some that stuck out to me. Stenheim too. 

I continue to think the Estelons are the best speaker I've heard, but my purchases have to be no taller than my wife or fatter than my wallet.

I always want to discount KEF as polite but the Ref 5's sounded very, very satisfying top-to-bottom in multiple rooms.

The new B&W's sound less shouty than previous encounters but there is still a lot of forward upper frequency even to my aging ears.

This is the 2nd Axpona where I thought Highwater Sound had the most natural, least electronic sound on voice, even when using different speakers.  Impressed.

The Alta Adam speakers impressively filled the room with music, and the designer knows his stuff ( from a conversation with him.)  With the modest amp, I missed some vocal crispness on familiar tracks, but they benefitted greatly from better amps.

Never been a big Wilson fan, but the tutorial of Patricia Barber recording was spectacular on the bigger Wilson's.

Doshi/Joseph always seems the sane high-end system if you've got the bucks. 

Too much chatting in most listening rooms. I'm fading out on shows.

Came away shifting to high-end headphones.

Was there yesterday and noted several things.  One observation was that I did not see any class D amplifiers.  Maybe I missed them but Class A/B big amps seemed to rule the day.  Two, I heard some really nice speakers - Paradigm 120s and some small monitors, I think, made by Audio Thesis.  Finally, no physical media played beyond vinyl.

And out come the militant Klipsch contingent proving once again that they are the audiophile equivalent to Harleys enthusiasts.  Just one persons opinion of a speaker of all things. Relax, enjoy your Klipsch and be happy. Relax, heavily modify your Klipsch and be really happy.

Ocean Way Audio Eureka speakers in the AGD room were fantastic! High Water room with Cessaro speakers was my favorite.  

What is up with everyone playing the same style of music mostly. Are all shows like this? Had a great time but the music got old. 

Post removed