AXPONA 2011 Atlanta reports/thoughts?

This was my first show......I really enjoyed checking out all the gear. I was really impressed with the sound in the Scaena room as well as the MBL room.
I know this has been probably been discussed before, but someone really needs to tell all these sponsors, distributors, and people to LIGHTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were times that I didn't even feel welcome in certain rooms. In this economy, if I want to listen to one of my tunes on a $60,000 pair of loudspeakers, you should damn well roll out the red carpet. I understand "screening" tracks so no one plays gangster rap or 2 Live Crew or something that's offensive, but don't give me the third degree about whether or not my song will make your speakers sound good. Thoughts?
audioguy3107

Showing 3 responses by rockadanny

Anyone hear the little Napa Acoustics system (CDP, integrated, small bookshelf speakers)? I meant to check it out but ran out of time.
+2 for Soundsmith. Biggest sounding small speakers I've ever heard, real sweet sound too.
Soundsmith's Mr. Ledermann impressed the heck out of me and deserves kudos. I stopped in his room out of curiosity even though I do not have a TT and will likely not be getting one in the near future (unless I hit the lotto, 'cause none of my relatives will be leaving me any dough). Luka Bloom was playing on his Firefly speakers and sounded wonderful. (These speakers play bigger than than look.) He asked what I'd like to hear. I requested electric blues on his larger speakers, the Monarchs. He took the time to switch them over, pulled out SRV on vinyl, and cued up Tin Pan Alley. This is a 10 minute cut! And he let it play all the way through. I was quite impressed with both the speakers (IMO in top two of all monitors I heard at the show, and would be glad to own) and Mr. Ledermann for spinning such a long, electric blues cut at a show where most folks that I met were mainly into classical or jazz music. Thank you Mr. Ledermann! Actually, most all vendors I spoke with were quite friendly and usually accomodating. This was my first audio show. I expected more stuffed shirt type snippy vendors (like the ones at most now defunct B&M stores I had experienced over the years - sizing up my financial potential as I walked through the door) but was pleasantly surprised at how most were very nice people. (Hmmm ... where are those stuffed shirt, snippy barracudas these days? ... hmmm ...)