avantgarde uno & duo

I have briefly listened to Duo driven by Cary 805C. They were very impressive on voice. What are their strength and weaknesses? In what respect are the Duos better than the Unos?

Thanks in advance.
128x128glai

Showing 2 responses by tubes108

Justubes--hi. Every speaker ever made is colored. If this was not so, many of us would have sound in our homes identical to the concert stage. Like probably every other high performance speaker at their level, the Avantgardes require careful attention to speaker positioning, cables, and using electronics that are synergistic to the speakers. Also, the use of the newer and faster subwoofers are necessary. Lacking this attention, the AGs will not perform to their potential.

If you let Kmart install cheapo tires on your Maseratti (or even good performance tires) and they incompetently balance these tires, your $250,000 car surely will not perform near its potential. This lack of performance is not the fault of your Maseratti.

If you walk by a home with music playing thru an open window, or in a home with music playing in an adjacent room, it is a simple task to determine if the music is live or reproduced via a stereo. There are many reasons for this. In my view one of the reasons that the AGs are so good and unique is if those are Avantgardes playing the music when you walk by, it is indeed possible that you believe that the music is live and not recorded. That suspension of believe in making recordings come alive makes Avantgardes special speakers.
Hey Justubes--we are related, no?? Sorry I was not clear. In part I tried to indicate that the Avantgardes, like all high performance speakers in their class, require care and skill, etc. to achieve their sonic potential. Unless the I's were dotted and the T's were crossed etc with the pair you heard for that hour or two, they indeed would not float your boat or anyone's boat. As you mention you did not hear even a hint of that that live sound, which implies to me that there were some issues with the system you heard.

Another example. There is no doubt that Quads are special speakers. Yet, when I have heard them at CES, at other audio shows, and at most dealers, their sound was nothing special. I have also heard them properly set up in the right room and used with the correct gear, and the sound in some ways was world class.

It is difficult to listen to one installation and make a judgment about any piece of gear. The installation may lack synergy or some colorations may only be noticeable over a longer period of time. Certainly each listener has their own taste and priorities, and I respect it if you heard the AGs properly set up and did not fall in love. Though from the little you mentioned, it does sound as though you did not hear them in an ideal situation. Enjoy them tubes, Justubes!!!