Avalon Eidolon VS the Eidolon Diamonds

Does any one have experence with how these two speakers compare and is there any big difference that make the Diamomds cost so much more. I have heard the Eidolon's many times and I can't imagine how anything could sound better.
I hope someone can help me with this.
baldeagle

Showing 2 responses by philb7777

I have owned both Eidolons and Eidolon Diamonds. I had the Eidolons for about two years and I currently own the Diamonds for the last 18 months. I agree with you that the Eidolons are fabulous. The Eidolon Diamonds take it up a notch more. I won't digress on how great the Eidolons are, but here are my obsereved differences between the Eidolons and the Eidolon Diamonds:

Bass - Diamonds have more visceral bass and better bass extension

Treble extension - it seems that symbals have much more body and the instrument decay and 'naturalness' are far superior

Resolution - seems much more lifelike and the 'space' around instruemnts are better

Midrange purity - similar

Soundstaging - better in diamonds, but very close

depth - similar

density of images - better in diamonds, but very close

I have found that my upgrade to the Diamonds is one that I haven't regretted for a second, but like everything else in high - end audio - you have to judge the 'law of diminshing returns' for you own preferences.
Johnny,

The bass articulation of the Diaomnds is all there in the vein of the regular Eidolons, except the Diamonds amazingly improve bass detail, nimbleness, and articulation at the same time the bass extension and visceral impact improves. I would agree with an above post too, that the Diamonds do have better dynamic transients than the Eidolons.

My associated equipment includes a Wadia 270/27ix front end and a Rowland 302 amp (wadia runs direct without a preamp) and all connections are with Cardas Golden Reference. The Rowland/Avalon combo is a match made in heaven - each compliments each other incredibly well. Vinyl someday............