AV123 LS6 Line Source up and running

Hello

I got my piano black LS6 delivered today! I paid the shipment company $50 to set them up for me, which was nice to get out of the way.

Here is the picture:

AV123 LS6

There they are, next to the Merlin VSM Mxe's. Pretty interesting comparison... comparing a true line array, with a very, very nice point source. Look at the size difference!

I've had a chance to listen to some music today... and I must say, wow. I don't want to jump to any hasty conclusions... but the dynamics on the LS6 are incredible. Very musical and non fatiguing sound - even in this room that is way too small for them.

The Merlins replaced some very nice Dynaudio monitors with a Velodyne DD15 sub. The Merlins were so much more transparent, and an open window to detail.

Unfortunately, I can't keep them both... I haven't had a chance to A/B, but the non-burned in LS6 is pretty amazing... the question in my mind, though, is can they match the Merlin's transparency? I'm not sure...

Running them with Cary/AES Sixpacs (55WPC EL34 tube amp), and it is a great match with the amp. Currently using the Anthem D2 as a complete preamp. Still waiting on the ARC (EQ) in the mail, which will help with the room responses.

Comments are welcome. Thanks for reading.
goatwuss

Showing 2 responses by johnk

Would be hard to tell sound quality's having loudspeakers next to each other. Pressure in room will move drivers in loudspeakers not power a bit like a passive radiator. Why demos in rooms with other loudspeakers in close proximity is flawed. Also with such a close set up baffles will also sum to a degree and the large pair would add some boundary reinforcement. Another - sonically. So maybe move a pair and listen before you decide. You can move a pair a bit out of the way and toss a heavy fabric cover over non used pairs or if to much work turning loudspeakers backwards might help a bit but still if too close see above..
Hey, I agree there is a effect as I said. And it will alter the sound of your loudspeakers. And what you describe as a sound characteristic seemed to me to be caused by your set up. A slight muddying of sound field would be the end result. If this isn't a problem for you great but it exists you admit it does and you should be happy someone took the time to try and help you out. You asked for comment did you not want a honest helpful one?