Aurender N100h vs. SOtM sms-200 Ultra

In your opinions, which is a better sounding file player, the Aurender N100h or the SOtM sms-200 Ultra? I realize the Aurender is over twice as much, but the fancy Conductor app is not really a big deal to me. I'm just interested in the best USB output to my DAC from an attached SSD.

Thank you.
koestner

Showing 1 response by hgeifman

In 2016, I decided to replace my MAC Book Pro Computer and purchase a single music server that does everything in one box.   After months of research, I selected the Aurender N10 Music Server and like it very much.  All my CD’s are stored on the N10 and it streams Tidal (and QuBuz).   The Aurender does not support Audirvana Plus, ROOM and does NOT require a connection to my MAC Computer.  The N10 provides both USB (Audience Au24 SE USB Cable, uses 2 wires) and AES/EBU digital outputs and I use both but the AES/EBU digital connection is my favorite (Snake River Audio Boomslang AES/EBU XLR digital cable).   All my album selection is done using the Aurender Conductor App that runs on my iPad.  The same Aurender Conductor App runs on the Aurender N100h and is very easy to use.

ROON requires a connection to a MAC Computer and so does Audirvana Plus if you use it on the ultraRendu.  This rules out the the ultraRendu for me since I require everything in one box and will NOT connect a box to my MAC Computer (for any reason).

My friend purchased the ultraRendu and likes it very much.  He reports the sound quality is excellent and it is very easy to use.  He uses ROON that requires a connection to his Computer.  I have another friend that purchased the microRendu and loves it for its excellent sound quality and ease of using ROON.  

I agree with dgarretson's post above that the "SOtM/MicroRendu paradigm is a building-block approach, as compared to a standalone purpose-build CPU like the Aurender". You need to decide if you want to DIY vs. a packaged one-box solution AND if you want to connect the ultraRendu to your computer. 

If possible, I suggest you demo both units to help you decide.  If a demo is not possible, I suggest you do more research before you make your decision.   Please confirm the ultraRendu return policy is 30 days.   Are you able to demo the Aurender N100h at your retailers store?    I hope this helps.