Aurender N100 internal hard drive or USB external drive?

I own one of the rare breeds of Aurender N100 variants that did NOT come from the factory with any internal hard drive storage, it is the same as the N100H in every other aspect.
Right now I have a 4tb WD HDD connected in the rear of it by USB which is fully accessible from the Conductor app.

I guess two questions really....

1/ Would I truly notice any difference in SQ if I went ahead and installed an internal hard drive vs my present usage of an external USB hard drive.

2/ If I went ahead and installed an internal hard drive, what model of hard drive is fully compatible with the N100, or does it really not matter? Or are there levels of HDD drives? Is SSD better than HDD? Are there levels of SSD?

Guess thats more than two questions but you get my quandary.
Seriously this stuff keeps me awake at night.........
128x128uberwaltz

Showing 4 responses by uberwaltz

AL
It looks like you are correct on there not being a 4tb hdd in 2.5 and 7mm height format, largest would be 2tb.
I have found a few pre owned Samsung 4tb ssd in 2.5 and 7mm height on Fleabay between 350 and 400.
Might be my route as I have not much intention to perform many writes, just my initial copy and a few updates when/if I add more albums digitally.
Thanks to all!
Djones
Thanks for the additional information of speed of drives.
If going to do it probably not worth skimping so do it right first time.

Heard back from Ari at Aurender customer support.

You pays your money and takes your choice apparently.

Any brand off HDD or SSD was his reply although he did say he preferred Samsung for SSD and Seagate for HDD.

Great article Anwar, thanks!

Sounds like due to the way Aurender caches all music queued up to play onto its internal ssd it might not be as crucial for where the hard drive resides as it might be otherwise.

However I still might prefer to install an internal HDD just to tidy things up a little.