Aurender N10 - Sound quality performance is erratic

I am having problems with my N10. Some days it plays amazingly good, other days good and some days not good at all.

I live very near Aurender in SoCal and so I took my unit in for service and they provided me with a loaner. The first session after I put the loaner in the system was all-time good. Then the next day wasn't all that great. Then the next two days were good but no great. Anyway, this is just weird. Both N10s appear to exhibit this erratic behavior.

My internet is ATT DSL at 24Mbps and that has been suggested as the culprit (I was thinking about calling and asking them to give me a trial at 50 or 100 Mbps to see if the increased speed will eliminate the problem - 24Mbps is fast enough I almost never seen buffering in Netflix). It has been suggested that I get hi-speed cable to solve this problem and get rid of the twisted pairs on the phone line. I have tried a DSL filter and it hasn't seemed to help, assuming I've got it installed correctly.

So have any of you N10 users had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?
pokey77

Showing 6 responses by jon2020

I have exactly the same experience with my N100H.

I then restart it with a long press on the Play button on my iPad. and the SQ returns to glorious after that and this works every time. I don’t think it is a modem/router issue. It probably needs to just clear its memory cache.
Anyway, try rebooting both and see what works. 

Hope this helps.
For clarification of "Play button", are you talking about the sideways triangle button at the top left of the screen? So I just hold it down a few seconds? -I've not heard of this tip but very glad you replied to my thread. I'm truly hoping this works when I try it later today.

Hi pokey77,

Yes, the Play button is the triangle button, between the previous and next track buttons.
Just hold it down for 2-3 seconds and a menu will pop up for 2 options - Restart or Turn Off. Choose Restart.

Good luck! :)
If you read the Stereophile review of this unit, it seem to do a little trickery to anything that’s not MQA related, JA exposed it and I commented on it in the comments.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/aurender-a10-network-music-playerserver
" However, the A10's misapplication of the MQA reconstruction filter to non-MQA files stored on its internal drive means we must withhold a full recommendation for the A10 until this problem has been corrected.—John Atkinson"
And this was still the same even after a firmware update.

JA's comments apply only to the A10 which has its own dac section.
Neither the N10 nor the N100H has a dac section to misapply any signal, MQA or not. So this issue has no relevance at all to the OP's question.
Last night I played a few tracks I am intimate with and then tried the long press of the "Play button" choosing the Restart option, and unfortunately for me, this did not change the sound quality at all.

@pokey77 

An additional step I take to clear the cache memory is to clear the last played playlist with the Clear button before I start playing a new playlist or album.

Yes. Aurender service is indeed top-notch. :)
.....The first session after I put the loaner in the system was all-time good. Then the next day wasn't all that great. Then the next two days were good but no great. Anyway, this is just weird. Both N10s appear to exhibit this erratic behavior......

Now that the erratic behavior issue of your N10 has been resolved by the repair, it appears that the loaner N10 is also in need of repair.  This may point to a flaw in some batches of N10's. 
Finally, I'd like to say thank you very much to @hgeifman and @jon2020 for your help and encouragement. I hope this thread will help other users arrive at an even better sound in their own systems.

@pokey77 

I am very happy for you that the ethernet issue has been sorted out.  Enjoy the music! 
Cheers! :)