Auditorium 23 SoloVox...

are they really sensitive to placement?

I've got the five year upgrade itch; plus I've got a new listening room configuration to deal with. My listening room "was" once a 15ft wall of mostly windows which allowed me to place speakers 4ft out from the wall or move them in and around the corners. The downside with that room (other than the big German Shepherd who dogged her post in front of one window): it was a huge open ceiling rectangle that continued onto the dinning and kitchen area, much like a big loft. Well the wife also had an itch and we remodeled (even though it was my money my opinion did not weight in). Suddenly I've been reduced to a near(er) field experience. I now have a 20ft or longer wall but there are entry doors on either end. The speakers can be no more than 2 ft. from the wall. My listening chair is about 8ft. from the speakers and I have another wall 2ft behind my head. So it's more intimate than before although the ceiling remains open and pitched.

So besides comments like you got screwed, I'm looking for advice to rectify the situation. Over the years I've worked my way through the Vandy line, Maggies and Merlins. Now I have a desire to move towards more efficient speakers.

I was very interested in the Audio Note HE model, but alas it prefers corners and I have none. Thus here I sit reading the Jules Coleman and Michael Lavorgna reviews wondering whether this SoloVox would work in my environment. Coleman didn't seem to have too much of an issue placing the speaker, but Lavorgna must have spent days moving his library from one wall to the other.

I'm very interest in anyone's trials and tribulations with the SoloVox, or any other efficient speaker that is less sensitive to placement. I'm also anxiously anticipating DeVore's two-way Orangutans. Thanks!
dpe

Showing 4 responses by 4musica44107

Agree with Bnrlaw's suggestion re the Altec Valencia 846A's for anyone who wants to have a window into what the Latour's can do, and at a fraction of the cost. Just like the Latour's, the Valencia's thrive on the musical finesse that Shindo electronics deliver. I heard a pair of 846A's a few months ago at Don Better's. It was the first time I had heard these speakers in a LONG time, and paired with Shindo electronics, they were absolutely sublime. I really wanted to get them, but the only room they would have worked in for me was the room where I have my Silverbacks, and there was no way that was not going to happen!
Dpe - I listened to (and loved) the SoloVox at Don Better's home. I really wanted to get a pair and build a system around them, but Don told me that the room I had available would not allow them to sound right at all. They would have been only 2 feet from the back wall, about 7 feet apart at their centers, and I would have been listening somewhat near-field. According to Don, they are very sensitive to room placement. They need to be in a large room, well separated, and well away from the rear wall and side walls.

They do sound intoxicating, though. One of the very best speakers I have ever heard for solo instrumental and small ensemble music. Exactly why I wanted them. Still do, but it ain't gonna happen.

I too am interested to hear the Orangutans. I have the Silverbacks in my primary system and love them!

BTW, how efficient do you need your new speakers to be? Verity has come out with some new offerings that are more efficient than their predecessors and they are very impressive. I am referring to the ones I have heard, namely the Finns and the Leonores.
Dpe - Glad to hear that the info you are getting has been helpful. For those who want a system for listening only to solo instrumental and small ensemble music, I am not aware of a better speaker than the SoloVox unless one makes the mega-bucks jump to the Shindo Latours.

I understand what you mean about rear-firing woofers. I have the Fidelio Encores (my first ever pair of speakers with rear-firing woofers) in a secondary system and it has taken a lot of time and effort to get them positioned to sound their best. I finally did and the result has been outstanding.

Now if I could just get my wife to go along with a house addition to accomodate a SoloVox-based system . . . . ;->

Good luck!
Actually meant to say that there was no way I was going to replace my Silverbacks with the Valencia's, or any other speaker for that matter!