Audirvana vs Roon

I finally got around to trying Roon. I am currently running a new MacMini with Audirvana and Tidal and now Roon trial. My modest system is Mac-Sonica DAC-Modwright pre-Wyred4sound monos-Von Schweikert VR4-JRs. As much as I appreciate the Roon appearance and extra info, to my ears the Audirvana sound quality is better. Anybody else prefer it over Roon for sound quality? Both are upsampled to max capable. I saw a similar thread a year ago and wanted an update. Thanks. 
tgrisham

Showing 1 response by rms456

I don't use Audirvana every day, yesterday fired up the latest version on a Win10 PC, UpNP to a Lumin U1.

Took about 15-20 minutes to sync the library adding some 50 albums or so, mainly redbook, nothing happens until the sync has stopped. The recently added titles are under playlists, but they're in alphabetical order, not from the filename date...... used Jriver to find recently added and manually searched in Audirvana.

Played a few albums while doing some chores, all looked good.  
Let the system stay idle for a few hours then played a redbook album, 5s of music then white noise from the speakers. F$ck.

Useless software, honestly. Imagine if the levels were straight to a power amp, blown tweeters to replace. It's not as if it was a hardship to play a redbook album.

Quit Audirvana, and played Roon without issue. If Roon falls over and this is very rare, the output is muted with file playback just stalling. In this case, restart the Roon core and all good.

I don't have SQ or transport issues with Roon, there's no upsampling, EQ, DSP, just playback as is. Some operational 'features' with Roon are annoying, but not to the extent of  how Audirvana can fall over. 

If Audirvana was as reliable as Roon, I would use it more often, but now I'm very tempted to remove Audirvana altogether.  

I know and appreciate some of you will find Audirvana works fine, you're fortunate that it works, and it must be something wrong with my system. I play Jriver, Roon, VLC without the problems of Audirvana. I don't need the hassle.