Audioquest DC cables - why are there almost no high end DC cables?

Hi everyone,

I noticed it's very difficult to get high end dc cables.

Why is that?

Surely a lot of components use DC connections: LPS, DAC/Streamers, HDD's, Switches.

I have been reading that a good DC cable need 2 things:

1. Geometry: starquad
2. Thick awg (12?)

Now I want have a DC cable made with audioquest wiring. These tick the above two requirements.

Can I use AQ type 4, CV4 or Rocket33 to make a DC cable?

The plug I will be using is Oyaide. Oyaide has high quality DC plugs in 2.1 and 2.5.

Ideas?
128x128richardhk
A DC cable connects an external power supply (DC voltage) to the main chassis.   I doubt that the quality of the wire matters much! No need to waste money on fancy cable!
Sonore, Zen Wave and Uptone all make these cables. SOTM makes them available with some of their equipment. Discriminating users with systems of sufficient resolution report improved sound.
I make my own DC umbilicals with Oyaide connectors and bundles of stranded 20awg .999 dead soft silver wire from Rio Grande, inside polyolefin heat-shrink tube from McMaster Carr.  The effective gauge totals around 11awg.  I'm using them from a Hynes SR7 four-rail power supply to SOtM USBultra, SOtM SMS-200Ultra, MicroRendu, SRS Rubidium master clock, Antelope LiveClock, and Merlin BBAM.
Sorry to say, but...

Connectors, cable types, and lengths... are not standardized in custom umbilicals. Nor will they ever be standardized. Each design is not truly unique but unique enough that there is no potential for any form of commonality to emerge.

Demand would be spotty at best. If commonality emerged, it would be for maybe a few hundred pieces and maybe only 20-30 of them might desire a custom umbilical, without having the given manufacturer of said gear get upset about it and decline warranty.

It’s not a hole in the market.... it’s a money losing trap, if one was to try and become a ’king’ of it.

The best that can be done is to have an intelligent mind and skillset build a new cable for the given piece, from what cable types, brands, and constructional aspects -which is available for such uses and desired for the application at hand. Even then, such attempts and their overall results.....would be a crap shoot.

Designing and issuing specific 'dc' wire would not be financially effective.

The reality is that quite a few audiophile wire types are perfectly suited for such application, IF their skins have the appropriate markings for such use, or as issued in their officially published specifications.