audiophiles or retrophiles

As I read the posts on Audiogon with their gushing about the warmth of tubes, vinyl, horns, older technology, it seems there is a reversion. New bad, old good. Solid state bad, tubes good. Digital bad, analog good.

I expect a return of the wind-up gramaphone with catus stylus. No electricity to sully the sound and a natural material used to read the grooves. Must be good!

How many audiophiles are actually retrophiles?

But then again, many refer to their audio systems as a hobby, rather than as a means to the end of listening to music. As such, the care of analog tape with its fragility (head alignment, avoiding print through), matching of output tubes, cleaning vinyl and worrying about tracking forces, and so forth are activities that a hobbiest might enjoy. So much more opportunity to demonstrate expertise than merely turing on solid state electronics and putting a CD in a drawer. So much more lore. So much more mystic.

db
donbellphd

Showing 1 response by steve5725

Unless I'm misreading his post, it appears donbellphd feels that many of the denizens of this site are "retrophiles" that unfairly bash any new technology that comes along and cling desperately to their quaint tubes and tables. Well, first of all, perhaps I'm not seeing the same posts that he is but it seems to me that there are a lot of vocal fans of SS and digital posting on this site. I've seen a fair number of posts that, like his, imply (or emphatically assert) that older technology is inconvenient, user unfriendly and sonically undesirable due to record surface noise, tube noise, reliability (lack of) and various other deficiencies. Of course, there are plenty of analog fans around here - and really, if not here, where? - but it's hardly an oppressive majority.

Second, it seems a bit unfair to imply that what analog "retrophiles" really love is the mystique of their arcane gear rather than the actual sound of the music it reproduces. Being skeptical of claims regarding the superiority of analog is fine, but just because someone else agrees with them doesn't make that person a Luddite. Sarcastic references to "wind-up gramophones" smacks of the same kind of smug complacency that he so deplores.