Audiophiles on Audiogon.

During my time here, I have found some of you to be too opinionated - like your life depends upon what you think about audio gear. Holding on to one’s beliefs a bit too tightly is bad for the soul.

I was reading some content on the Ken Rockwell website, and then found an article entitled: "What is an audiophile?"

in the article, Ken says: Audiophiles are non-technical, non-musical kooks who imagine the darnedestly stupid things about audio equipment. Audiophiles are fun to watch; they’re just as confused at how audio equipment or music really works as primitive men like cargo cults are about airplanes.

Given my time on this forum and a few others, I have found his statements to be true. I mean, if you have an amplifier that costs say, $10,000, and you buy cables for $20,000, is that really going to improve the sound? (make the stereo image more accurate)

Or on the otherside, if you buy an amplifier for $1000 and then go buy the top of the line audioquest cables costing tens of thousands of dollars, then would the sound improve accordingly? After reading some of their literature, I cannot be sure they have an understanding of how electricrity works, much less the intricate details involving high-end audio systems.

And then we have power conditioning to consider. I have done extensive research online and it turns out that if your gear is really "high-end" it should already have a device inside that filters the incoming AC. Therefore, do you really need a power conditioner?

I learned about PS Audio products being spec-ed much higher than their measured performance. This is also true of the audio "power plants" that cost thousands of dollars. No really, tons of money to "regenerate" power with little to no sonic benefits.

Would love to hear what you guys think about these findings.

Oh, and high-end DACs?

This thing will outperform all your fancy gear.

jackhifiguy

Showing 2 responses by lanx0003

Honestly, I can see why people post challenges to Audiogoners.  First, non-technical, many posts are about promoting products without providing technical specs and measurements.  If a cable is capable of making significant sonic improvements, it got to be measurable.  ASR fills some of those gaps but, rather being praised for what he has done for the community, Audiogoners diss/discredit him and insist measurements are nonsense and only their ears can be trusted.  These anti-scientific arguments will only earn nothing but heavy critics.  Of course, if you got disposable money, spend it without hesitation and it is absolutely none of our business.  But making defensive arguments against science is just not beneficial to the community.

@aewarren 

Show me a device that measures sound quality and I will certainly get one. Until that time I will use my ears.

Yes, none of the device in the market is available to provide a comprehensive assessment for SQ.  This is a far-cry goal that I wish can be achieved some day.  I was specifically referring to "cable" if you read my post carefully.  Here is one example.  

In the end of post, he said

"...Ask manufacturers to demonstrate what the benefits they advertise. They say they lower noise? Ask them to show before and after measurements..."

I have not come across any cable manufacturer provides tech. measurements for their products so far even upon request.  In the listening test section, he also mentioned:

"...I could not detect a difference between the two in this limited testing. Mind you, there was more air when listening to the Wind. But then my wife who was in the kitchen informed me that the dogs had left the patio door open and whether I was OK if she closed it. Once she did, the air factor disappeared.