Audiophile Vacations

Hey Folks,

I was prodded to think about this based on the number of posters that have trouble finding the gear they want to hear/demo in their area.

What do you do when on vacation?  For me I always add a few things into my trips to other cities/areas.  (1) Search out the best Vinyl stores (new & used).  I like to support Brick & Mortar.  (2) Look for the best liquor stores to see if I have find some bourbons not available around my area; and (3) Visit the best Audio Showrooms in town.  

By doing #3 I get to see many pieces of equipment that I never get exposed to in my area.  Why is it some brands have only 2-3 dealers in the continental use [don't answer that].  I'll admit to planning some trips to areas that have dealers that demo certain brands.  What else are you going to do if you want to demo Basis Audio Turntables, or Borreson Speakers?

Let's not forget our "vacations" to audio shows (Axpona, Capitol Audio Show, Rocky Mtn, etc.)

I'm sure I am not alone here.  What were some of your favorite Audiophile vacations.

Happy Travels, again!
pgaulke60

Showing 1 response by tubes108

I am unfamiliar with the Borreson brand. For Basis, I am aware only of the Basis dealers I have dealt with. Those are American Sound of Canada, also called Angie's Audio Corner, located in a Toronto suburb and Goodwin's High End located in Waltham, MA. For info on other dealers do contact Basis Audio directly; they are responsive to emails.

For LP stores worth traveling to. I always made a stop at the iconic Village Music when I was in the Bay area. The store closed a while ago, though afterwards the owner sold out of his record warehouse. Don't know if he still does, believe his Village Music website is still active which can provide specifics.

When in the hunt I found it most rewarding to visit cities with numerous LP stores, such as the Boston area, Chicago area, and San Francisco and surrounding areas such as Berkeley and Marin County, with Marin just across the Golden Gate from San Fran. In Marin I found many hard-to-find LPs at reasonable prices at Mill Valley's Mill Valley Music.