Audiophile demographics?

Why are there a disproportional number of male audiophiles?
Not sure if this is a silly question, but speaking for myself, I have never met a female audiophile.
I am sure they exist, but their scarcity begs the question as to why.
Is it merely that men have more of the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality, do men love gadgets and tools or is it something more sinister?
128x128tony1954
Much of this discussion is thought provoking and revealing about the authors. What some posts do provide is a look backwards to say, the 1950’s. Certain comments, especially those about wives afraid to mess with the gear controls, caused me to cringe. Were they shown how to use them? Were they uninterested or afraid to learn? Or were they warned not to go there?It shows how far we haven’t come. And sadly, many women still seem to be afraid to push boundaries and venture where no woman has gone before. 

My middle daughter (age 38) loves music and always has. We share “have you heard ....” all the time, since her teenage years.  And while at her home it’s mostly Apple Music through a Mac with speakers, whenever she gets back to my house, she always wants to spend time listening to music on my rig, letting me take over the “have you heard....”.   She is not interested in what equipment I have (although she asks what’s new), but in transporting herself into the music, eyes closed.
While her budget is a major limitation, her time (raising 2 kids) is also limits her.  But when visiting us, she is on vacation/holiday and has more spare time.  So, she may never be an audiophile due to budget and time limitations, she does appreciate the listening experience.  So when I die (hopefully many years from now) she gets the stereo.
It is in the DNA. Men are more inward which allows them to enjoy listening to music which typically is done without much conversation. Women are more outward and enjoy company and conversation which is not conducive to critically listening to a hifi system where you are either listening to enjoy, which is a non-talking event or to figure out which item needs to be upgraded next, which again requires quiet.
There are quite a few female audiophiles on this site.You don't notice them because they avoid the long argumentive threads.