Audiophile demographics?

Why are there a disproportional number of male audiophiles?
Not sure if this is a silly question, but speaking for myself, I have never met a female audiophile.
I am sure they exist, but their scarcity begs the question as to why.
Is it merely that men have more of the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality, do men love gadgets and tools or is it something more sinister?
128x128tony1954
Music often plays a role in the emotional lives of men.

For whatever reason, we men do not give ourselves permission to feel, let alone show, many of our deepest (and often most poignant) emotions. We bury them, and we’re damn good at it.

For whatever reason, women are not nearly so inhibited.

Music is a place where we men can feel things, and it’s okay for us to do so. So we are more likely to value and seek a musical experience which conveys emotion.

There’s more to it, but that’s one often overlooked aspect, in my opinion.

For a deeper insight into the role music can play, you might check out this YouTube clip.  Ironically, the audio is pretty bad: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXEHIHtMFL0    

Duke
@audiokinesis 

great point, i very much agree

@gg987 

so glad you are posting!

does 987 signify first gen cayman???  hope so  :)
does 987 signify first gen cayman??? hope so :)

I have driven a cayman at the Porsche Sport Driving School in Birmingham. I know, I'm weird for a girl. But actually for about 15 years I drove 911 convertibles. Stick shift, of course, it's the only way. Driving that car with an automatic transmission is just wrong. You're missing all the fun!
Sorry to digress....
Cars are a digression. Porsche? Far from it. You are right though about women being rare. I ran Driver Skills a few years and we tried all kinds of things to encourage more women, but they just aren't interested. What got you hooked? Was it the experience of driving a Porsche? The 987 is one beautifully balanced remarkably responsive car. Or were you always into driving?

@millercarbon 

I've always loved cars. When I was sixteen I wanted my first car to be a racing green MGB. It was a silver Chevy Vega. But it had an engine and 4 wheels, so no complaints. In my twenties, my ex-husband taught me to drive a stick because they got better mileage. It was a Honda Civic, but I was hooked on driving a manual transmission. In the 911, I used to see if I could drive Mulholland from one end to the other in second and never touch the brake. You either feel it or you don't..