Audiophile demographics?

Why are there a disproportional number of male audiophiles?
Not sure if this is a silly question, but speaking for myself, I have never met a female audiophile.
I am sure they exist, but their scarcity begs the question as to why.
Is it merely that men have more of the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality, do men love gadgets and tools or is it something more sinister?
128x128tony1954

Showing 18 responses by tony1954

@facten 

Unfortunately, I do not think there is actually anything nefarious going on.
It might be as simple as women being emotion driven, when it comes to music, so the fact that it doesn't "sound" perfect is irrelevant. They get what they need from the music itself.
@millercarbon
You unfortunately missed the point of my use of the word "unfortunately".
My comment was in response to Facten, who seemed intrigued by the possibility of "sinister" things going on. 
My use of the word "unfortunately" indicated that the reality of the situation was perhaps not as spicy as what he might have hoped for.
I, in no way want to make us all the same.
As they say, variety is the spice of life. Whether it is music, food, friends or audio equipment.

@rcronk
"And I am very friendly with many women. But you can watch them glaze over when you put some Captain Beefheart on the turntable."

If you are playing Captain Beefheart for a woman, then I understand why you are merely "friendly". Perhaps you should try Marvin Gaye next time.
You know what I am afraid of?
That after all the discussion and arguing back and forth, that are we are going to come to one conclusion.
That woman are just smarter than men.
@jjss49 

Much the same as going to see a rock band like Rush in concert. Guys are there for the musicianship as much as the music. Come to think of it. I don't know many women that are into jazz either. Except my ex-wife. She loves jazz, always had performance cars and loved high quality sound.
@chayro 

My wife only liked watching the pretty fighters like Alexis Argüello or Oscar De La Hoya.
@gg987
Glad to virtually meet you. 
I certainly don't want to treat you like some sort of oddity, but it would be fair so say that you are in the minority.
If you don't mind, could you answer a couple of questions.
How did you become interested in audio?
Why do you think that more women aren't audiophiles?
@gg987
Yeah, kinda. The cabinet is the giveaway. Before the divorce we had one as well. Now everything is what I would call "freeform".
@gg987
You remind me of my ex-wife. And I mean that in only the most positive way. She has always appreciated good sound and good music and although she didn't care about the minutiae of my audiophilia, she wasn't in the least intimidated by the gear.
There is so much stereotyping in society and as much as we like to think we are progressing, there is a very long way to go.
@danvignau 

"Who wants to go to a female's house to listen to girley music?"
I don't know what women you associate with, but I wouldn't recommend making that comment in mixed company. My wife is the "metalhead" in the family and was the one that turned me onto bands like Tool. We enjoyed everything from Puccini to Pink. 
Referring to "girly music" says more about you than them.
@danvignau 

"Also, guys need an excuse to invite anyone over. Girls have things built in for this."
What exactly are these built in "things" that women have?
You can blame me for asking the question again, but if the responses are any indication, the demographics haven't changed and female stereotyping is still an issue. Sad, but not surprising as the world gets more polarized every day.
@sokogear

There was a local restaurant that served their meals in total darkness. They claimed that the lack of external sensory input actually enhanced the taste of food. While it sounds strange on the surface, is it any different than listening to music in a darkened room?
@cd318
I asked an innocent question and for some reason people like you want to make it into a hill you will die on. 
Are there more male audiophiles than female audiophiles? Yes.
Do people stereotype? Yes.
Next time I will try to ask a question that doesn't tax your intellect.
How about "Do your prefer bananas or spades?"