Audiolab 8000A and 8000S

I currently own an Audiolab 8000S used as an integrated amp. I have just acquired a secondhand Audiolab 8000A . I would like to set these up in a pre/power configuration , but not sure which amp to use for which purpose. Can the 8000A be set up as a power amp?
The 8000S has a number of modes but Im not sure if any make it usable as a power amp .
I am a little out of my depth here so any assistance would be much appreciated.
paulfoly3c96

Showing 4 responses by seandtaylor99

What are you trying to achieve ?
Do you want to bi-amp your speakers (i.e. use one integrated to drive the tweeters and the other to drive woofers ?)
Or do you have some other goal ?
With a bit more info I might be able to offer some help.
I thought you'd biamp since I couldn't figure out what you would gain from using the preamp of one to drive the poweramp of the other. From what I remember the 8000S is a more capable amp than the 8000A, but the 8000A has tone controls and a phono preamp, which are both not present on the 8000S. Apart from the phono preamp I would think that both the pre and power stages of the 8000S are superior to the 8000A.

Unless you need the phono preamp (and I'm guessing you don't, since you don't have one on the 8000S) then I'd use the 8000S as an integrated, driving the high frequencies, and the 8000A as a power amp, driving the low frequencies. I don't know whether the power amp section of each amp has the same gain, but I think it is quite likely they do. You should get a noticeable improvement if you bi-amp this way, as you've almost doubled your power, and your current driving capability.

Please let us know how you get on ... it's an interesting experiment.
Audiolab are back in business

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/

I think they are under Chinese ownership, but have a presence in the UK. Try contacting them directly.
More to discover