Audiogon sellers, please stop and read this thread

I had a couple listings last week and I received one e-mail from a potential buyer to instruct me to contact him via his private e-mail right away.

I was offered to be paid by Cashier Check rather than Paypal.
I accepted the term that the buyer would have his "agent" to pick up the units for sale. In term, I told the buyer I would only accept the Cashier Check from major banks.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from the buyer instructing me to deposit the Cashier Check one I receive it BUT since the Cashier Check was made by his "financier" for more than the sale price, the buyer wanted me to cash out the difference and send a Moneygram to his "agent" so his" agent" can pick up the merchandise and the buyer thanked me for my " corporation".

I demand to know if the Cashier Check was made from major banks or not and how much is the difference between the sale price and the amount of the Cashier Check. I have not heard a response from him since then.

What's up? Was I born yesterday or is it a case of innocence
'till proven guilty?
andrewdoan
I recently had such an offer from a potential buyer. Unfortunately, it appears that the professional scammers have discovered Audiogon. To avoid any such issues I typically avoid buying from sellers with no/negative feedback, and only sell if the person is willing to pay via paypal or US postal money order. It's probably unfair to new members who want to conduct legitimate deals, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.
Got a similar offer on Audiogon. Once I asked for clarification, for the entire process looked convoluted and suspicious to me, never heard back from the "buyer".
I eventually got a legit offer from another buyer, for less than my asking price, but with normal paying terms and everything went to the satisfaction of both parties.

Stay away!
It's an old scam - just this weekend I've got several "offers" on items I have for sale here. They all have the same "tone" to them "Dear Seller" etc. Its clear that the fraudsters have no clue about what they are "buying" I of course alerted Audiogon and to their credit they acted on the tips almost immediately, by removing and presumably blocking the crooks from further actions on the site.

Its a shame that attempted fraud is becoming so prevalent here on the "new improved" Audiogpon. I for one am not impressed with it, real traffic is way down - with real - I mean folks that want to buy or sell audio whom have a real interest in it, just take a look at the forums postings are way down.

My two cents

Peter