Audio Reviewers

I was watching the Audiophiliac's video  titled, "So you want to be an audio reviewer" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lad_cPheR60 by Steve Guttenberg,  In it he said he doesn't do negative reviews.  Thus many of the products he listens to never are put to paper, or a video created about.  That got me thinking in general about reviews.  Based on his video should I presume if I do not see a review by any of the primary reviewers I should just stay clear from that product?  It seems many of the reviewers like Schiit, Zu, Tekton and the reviews for these products are numerous.  Are they really the best at their price point, or its it dangerous to buck the trend and state something differently.  

Specific to reviewers not liking a product, I have found products they have liked and that same product either at an audio show, or at an audiophiles home I have ended up being disappointed.   I suppose it could be expectation, but I try to listen multiple times before passing judgement.  Speakers that have fallen in to this category - 

Joseph Audio Perspective -thought I would like, but based on a price/performance ratio I felt they were underachievers.  
Ryan R620 (extremely disappointed.  Such that I feel I must hear again as either the room, or upstream setup was flawed).
Zu Druids ( I have heard in locations I loved and other times they fell flat).  They are on my short list to buy based on their look and those moments I really liked.
Gallo 3.1 (I bought based on the reviews and never was able to love, even after changing amps).

Back to reviewers - I like watching, or reading reviews from John Darko, New Day Records (he seems to be the most honest, but at times rambles), Part-time Audiophile, Michael Fermer at Analogue Planet (my favorite audiophile personality), and at times I will watch Steve Guttenberg (his review videos are extremely light and/polite, but I do enjoy when he visits \audiophile homes.  I used to follow 6moons quite a bit, but I have found their recent reviews off the mark and rarely seek out their site these days.  My recollection on 6moons is they used to have much more substance, but these days their reviews are filled with pics and light on content.  Maybe it's just a few of their reviewers. 

I suppose it is easier being a "half-cup" full reviewer and not talking about the negative.  Dwelling on and extensively talking about what you dislike probably discourages designers from sending you products and not providing access (I have no idea since I don't review). I seem to recall when 10 Audio gave Harbeth's 30s a 4 out of 10 - the backlash from owners and Harbeth followers was swift and harsh  - http://10audio.com/harbeth_m30.htm.  I however found it refreshing, not that I agreed, but it seemed to buck the trend, especially on a speaker company that has a large following. 

mindlessminion
Make sense there is a "people problem".  After a purchase people may have Choice-supportive bias.  Typically buyers pick the best option and after that decision they continue to affirm that decision.  I guess in general people do not want to admit they made a mistake, or think they made a mistake.

As stated above people have different preferences.  Of the people I know in my immediate audio circle, I cannot think of a duplicate component any of us share.  There have been times we have owned vintage gear (Klipsch), but I believe that had more to do with collectibility and owning a piece of history rather than outright sound. 
I no longer subscribe to audio magazines. Half of the magazines consist of ads. The other half consists of reviews of the advertised products. Then, when checking out the music the reviewers use to conduct their reviews and finding it drenched in artificial digital reverb, that also adds to the mistrust of the review. I miss J. Gordon Holt.
and this is exactly why a forum like this is so valuable.  No one is sending me (and probably hardly any of you) equipment for you to review and post your reviews on this forum.  Unfiltered feedback...both positive and negative.
agree completely with three_easy_payments - open forums where users can ask and express their opinions.

I do wonder how many reviews are paid.  I was surprised Tekton allegedly paid the guy from New Day Records.  if it has happened once, sure it happened repeatedly throughout the industry.

I know paid reviews are often used to initiate and throughout kick starter campaigns in some hobbies.  
Agree that all reviews in the mags tend to sound anywhere from pretty positive to over the top amazing.

But it if you’ve read enough of them, after awhile you can begin to recognize when a reviewer really isn’t all into the product he/she reviewing. It’s like they’re really straining to spin it positive but it kinda stands out and you recognize, oh they actually don’t like that aspect of the product at all.

For example, for an amp that maybe lacks some refinement in the treble, the reviewer may say something like, “this amp is glorious in the bass and lush and delicious in the midrange, and unless you have bat ears, I doubt you’ll be left wanting for anything in the treble.”

Well, it could be nothing but when I audition that amp, I’m damn sure going to be listening critically to the treble to see if it is a big weak spot.

As such, that review still incredibly helpful in potentially pointing out things to look for or be aware of if know what to look for in this world of ‘everything is great’ reviews.