audio research vt 200 mk II vs the vt 200

HI, I AM NEW TO AUDIOGON, SO PLEASE BARE WITH ME.I RECENTLY PURCHASED A USED ARC REF 2 MKII. PREAMP. I AUDITIONED IT WITH A SET OF ARC REF 210'S. THE SOUND WAS FANTASTIC. WHEN I GOT HOME I INSERTED THE REF 2 MK II INTO IT,S NEW HOME ON MY AUDIO RACK. I TURNED THE SYSTEM ON TO HEAT UP BEFORE SETTLING INTO WHAT I THOUGHT WOULD BE MUSICAL BLISS ,BUT THE MAGIC WAS GONE. MY PRESENT AMP IS SOLID STATE .THE MARK LEVENSON 332.IT SOUNDS OK, BUT A SMALLER SOUND STAGE. ANY WAY, MY QUESTIONS ARE (1), WHICH AMP IS THE MOST RELIABLE, THE VT 200, OR THE VT 200 MK II. AND (2)HOW DOES THE REF 2 MK II, SOUND PAIRED WITH THESE AMPS. I WOULD LIKE TO RECAPTURE THAT SOUND I HEARD WHEN I AUDITIONED THE REF 2MK II . THE NEW ARC REF AMPS ARE NOT AN OPTION, DUE TO PRICE. PLEASE HELP !!
Ag insider logo xs@2xjion

Showing 1 response by louisl

I am reporting my comparison on the VT100 MkI vs. the VT100 MkII (which is my preference of all the VT100 series). I assume my comments regarding the VT100 will be the same for the VT200 models.
The VT100 MkI is a wonderfully musical product. However, to me, it didn't have quite the extension, detail or air that the Vt100 MkII presents (and the bass was much tighter and deeper on the MkII model). The VT100 MkI sounds to me a little too thick, with transients sounding a bit too rounded.
When the MkII replaced the original VT100 it had:
1) the power supply of the VT100 MkII was double the reserve of the original VT100 MkI
2) an IEC connector for the power cord, thus allowing you to choose what power cord you wanted to use (you've got to hear these amps using a FIM / CRL 'Gold' power cord)
3) the VT100 MkIII went from a fully tube input stage to solid state input stage.
Again, in my opinion, the MkII is the best sounding of the VT100 models.
I hope this provides some insight for you.