audio research vt 200 mk II vs the vt 200

HI, I AM NEW TO AUDIOGON, SO PLEASE BARE WITH ME.I RECENTLY PURCHASED A USED ARC REF 2 MKII. PREAMP. I AUDITIONED IT WITH A SET OF ARC REF 210'S. THE SOUND WAS FANTASTIC. WHEN I GOT HOME I INSERTED THE REF 2 MK II INTO IT,S NEW HOME ON MY AUDIO RACK. I TURNED THE SYSTEM ON TO HEAT UP BEFORE SETTLING INTO WHAT I THOUGHT WOULD BE MUSICAL BLISS ,BUT THE MAGIC WAS GONE. MY PRESENT AMP IS SOLID STATE .THE MARK LEVENSON 332.IT SOUNDS OK, BUT A SMALLER SOUND STAGE. ANY WAY, MY QUESTIONS ARE (1), WHICH AMP IS THE MOST RELIABLE, THE VT 200, OR THE VT 200 MK II. AND (2)HOW DOES THE REF 2 MK II, SOUND PAIRED WITH THESE AMPS. I WOULD LIKE TO RECAPTURE THAT SOUND I HEARD WHEN I AUDITIONED THE REF 2MK II . THE NEW ARC REF AMPS ARE NOT AN OPTION, DUE TO PRICE. PLEASE HELP !!
Ag insider logo xs@2xjion

Showing 4 responses by jion

That is exactly the type of feed back i need. Thankyou so much Louis1. NOW,if someone could share with me how the pairing of the Ref.2 MK II, and the vt 200 MK II OR VT 200 sound ,that would be great. DOES it sound bright ? How is the sound stage? etc.
Hi Laurent, thanks for your response.I won't go near a Ref 3, because after all the positive feed back Ive read on it,I know , if I gave it a listen, the farm would be in jeopardy. But in the mean time , I believe that maybe ,what the JFET'S, and 6H30 tube combo did for the LS 25 MKII, AND THE Ref 2 MKII's sound ,may very well have trickeled down to the VT 200MK II, OR VISE VERSA.After considering what LOUIS, had to say about the VT 100 MK II, and your input on the VT 200 ,My choice would sway toward the VT200. BECAUSE I NEED THE 200 WATTS To drive My Vandersteen 3A'S. Does any one out there in Audiogon land, have any comments on the ARC VT 200 MK II, pro or con?? Mean while I'LL continue to listen to THE solid state AMP.A good amp, but ( no magic) sounds cold, and thin at the top. I can only spend the money once. I'LL be waiting!! Thanks again for your time, and response. All the best,
Hi,thanks to all my AUDIOGON responders.Thanks to Dbarger, for the clarification of model # in the comparisons between the VT100 series, and the VT200 series. HI_hifi, thanks for your vote of confidence in the vt200. Sjsanders,Thankyou, for your first hand knowledge and feedback on the VT200 MKII. I have a question.
Does the VT200 MKII sound bright in any way due to jfets
used at the front end, or is it smooth sounding , due to
the out put tubes? Thanks again, for the much needed feed back.
JION
Hi to all. I recently purchased a ARC VT 200 MKII .Sjsanders described it perfectly. For me it's a perfect match for the ARC REF 2 MK II pre amp.I have listened to
cd via MARK LEVINSON 39 player. No poorly recorded cds allowed. THE MUSIC SOUNDS REAL, the speakers just dissapear.I can almost reach out and touch Patrica Barber's piano. ( I HEARD IT ON NPR HDCD )
For me this is the best.
THANKS to all who took the time to respond.
All the best