Audio Research VT-100 Mark 3 SE/BAL switch

The VT-100 has a switch on the back that is used to bring pin 2 to ground when using a balanced IC. It also seems to put resistance into the circuit, accounting for the 100K ohms for single ended versus 200K for balanced. When I used single ended connections, if I switched from SE to BAL, the sound dropped about 6 dB. I was using a passive setup so this drop was obvious.

Now I have an active preamp, Ref 5SE, and so I bought balanced interconnects (mostly to get to use the 12 dB gain of the preamp instead of the 6 dB in single ended). I tried the SE/BAL switch in SE to hear if there was a sound difference, which there was (attenuated highs), but did I burn out one hot lead in the balanced IC by doing this? When I tried another balanced IC using the switch properly in BAL position, the sound was about 6 dB louder than the original IC. My question is if it is possible to damage a balanced IC by crossing one hot lead to ground.

I tried asking Kalvin Dahl at ARC about this but he said I was wasting his time on a conceptual question.

vinylbob

Showing 2 responses by vinylbob

Al,

Thanks very much for answering all my questions. In the case of the one IC having lower throughput, it could be the case that I bought a damaged IC. I bought both IC's recently on Audiogon to accommodate using an active preamp. I shipped the suspect one to Tara Labs, so will post what I find out from them.

The circuit diagram I have for the amp shows pin 1 as ground, jumped to pin 2 upper left for SE operation. Pin 3 is shown lower left, circuit going from left to right through the amp.

Thanks again.

Bob

Al,

Mystery solved. Tara got the IC's and determined that the grounds had originally been terminated on the wrong pins, so they reterminated all four ends on warranty...that's a conclusion I did not expect!

Bob