Audio Research SP17 or Modwright LS100?

Hello,

I just joined this forum hoping to receive guidance. I can usually understand the basics since I have been into HT/Stereo since 1998 so talking to me should be fine as I understand some of the technical stuff when it comes to equipment but am no pro.

I have always been on a journey in the audiophile world and recently got a pm from another forum stating that a preamp is a waste of money in comparison to a decent AVR because science basically dictates that in DBT, one cannot hear a difference and in reality there is such a small difference that the human ear would not be able to discern. It might be true and it might be placebo that I am hearing but I like the tube sound especially the guitar. I play a little myself and loved "Hotel California". I don't know the number of times I have listened to this but its too much to count.

I am one of those members that have an HT setup with projector but always listen to music in 2 channel. I know I have to eat my cake and eat it too. It's 70% music and 30%movies/tv.

I have PSB Imagine T2 with the AVR being Marantz SR6007, Parasound Halo A21 amp, source is NAD c546BEE and tried out to preamps. I prefer the sound a slight better with ARC but prefer the volume control on Modwright. I know both come with remotes but sometimes I prefer the tactile feel. My equipment is not the greatest compared to some here but I try to balance my equipment as well as the setup in the room. Can anyone please give input as it would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post as I wanted to describe myself and my intentions here in this forum.
solo13

Showing 1 response by zd542

"I have always been on a journey in the audiophile world and recently got a pm from another forum stating that a preamp is a waste of money in comparison to a decent AVR because science basically dictates that in DBT, one cannot hear a difference and in reality there is such a small difference that the human ear would not be able to discern."

The best advice I can give you is to ignore that statement. It's meaningless. Anyone can say anything. Who cares. People bring up DBT's all the time and I always ask the same question. "Can I see the test so I can read it for myself?" Not one time did anyone ever show me where I can see the test for myself. Who knows what they tested? Or even if there is a test at all.

I would say you are doing everything the right way. You're listening to the preamps in your own system and forming your own opinion. If there's a better way to do it, I don't know. In the end, for me, the deciding factor would be sound quality. I know what you are talking about with the volume control working better in the one preamp than the other. I would still pick it if the sound was better.