Audio Research Reference 3 voltage conversion

Anyone who knows how to convert an Audio Research Ref3 preamp from 120 volt to 220-240 volt? I know that some products needs to change the transformer and other products just needs to switch a couple of wires.

Is it possible to convert an Reference3 to 220-240 volt? I don't want to use an outboard voltage converter.

Looking forward to your responds. Thanks.
call arc 763 577 9700
┬ĽAudio Research does not convert products for use with a different A.C. line voltage.

what if owner wants to move to a different country? he has to sell it and buy another one so ARC can get fat? I have moved out of the country more than once due to work, I am glad I did not own ARC gear and I probably never will after learning this fact.

more the reason not to buy ARC!
Simi, you're absolutely right on that one!

I do know (or I have heard) that Audio Research do not convert the voltage of their products, but I've learned that it's pretty simple to do on some AR products for a qualified technician.

So I just hope that anyone knows if the Ref 3 and the CD 8 is the easy ones that only needs to switch a few wires or if these units would have a brand new transformer (or multible transformers).

Looking forward to your answers. Thanks.
Sorry Semi for spelling your name wrong.
Just take it to a high end audio engineer in your country. I had an integrated amp converted to my local voltage for about $90 Euros.
Can you use a seperate wall transformer. It is a preamp, so unlike an amp the power draw shouldn't be a problem ? (note this a question).

I had the same problem, but the other way around. I drove 100 miles for what I thought would be a killer deal on an ARC preamp only to find out it was a 220V model. (then later, I wondered if I could have used a transformer or voltage regulator or something?
"high end audio engineer "

Like there are dozens listed in the phone book.
Senior, tiene mas voltages, por favor!! lolol
The problem is that some ARC products need to change the transformer (s) and some only need some wires to be switched. I'm interested to know if the Ref3 and CD7 & CD8 is the ones that need the whole transformer changed or they just need some wires to switch place.

That's important to know cause it's much more difficult and expensive to perform the transformer swap. Hope to get some answers.

hii all of the arc ref 3
can bee connvert from 120v to 220v 240v
i have done that to my ref3
Hello Simsim ,looking at the schematics of my REF 3 ( 230V european version ) I noticed three xformers , one for the highvoltage 400V , one for the logicvoltage 5 V and a 12V for the display.Can 't see extra windings for another voltage , so I think it is not easy without outboard converter to use your amp.for 230 V.I 'm very sorry for you
You can not convert the primary transformer windings to 220Vac on newer ARC products. This was done to protect their European Distributors. I also doubt they would sell you a replacement 220Vac primary transformer but anything is possible. If you are moving to a 220V area you may wish to consider selling your preamp in the states and buying a used one when you move to your new location.
It CAN be done on most Audio Research preamps, but you HAVE to be sure about what you are doing before you start, and where you need to, you have to make sure that you can obtain the appropriate replacement parts.
Those preamps with digital logic circuits are a little more complex, but in general, proceed as follows:
1. Obtain the circuit diagram for your preamp (the Audio Research website has a great collection, only recently HUGELY improved.) Or buy a CD-Rom with the appropriate schematics from 'the bay'.
2. You DON'T want to be changing the large toroidal transformers. The schematic for your amp should show whether or not it has dual primaries. If so, you have a good chance. If not, I suggest you use an external US>European voltage converter.
3. On my preamp there WERE dual primaries, the blue and white are the centre tap wires that need to be connected and there is (on my preamp) a position on the circuit board to connect these.
4. If your preamp has a small PCB mounted transformer to supply the digital circuitry, it is unlikely to be dual voltage. In other words, you must obtain the correct voltage replacement. Audio Research did not help me with this. I initially bought a PCB transformer from a European transformer manufacturer, but the pins, although in the correct order, were a slightly different spacing. I am sure I could have paid a little more and had a custom made transformer built, but instead I approached an Audio Research distributor in my country and they obtained the correct transformer for me for a very reasonable price. I had an electronics engineer fit it for me.
5. Job done.