Audio Research Ref 5 preamp

Hi,

I currently own the ARC Ref 3. I know its early, but I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to do a comparison of the new ARC Ref 5 compared to the ARC Ref 3 and if so, what are the sonic differences that you heard. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
128x128babybear

Showing 5 responses by carey1110

Having had many preamps in this category over the last 10 years to include VTL 7.5 mk1, cj ACT-2, cj Art mk-2, ARC Ref-3 twice,and Mcintosh c-500. I believe the Ref_5 tops them all by quite a margin. The first thing I noticed with the Ref 5 Is more information and greater transparency in a very relaxing musical fashion. I found the Ref 3 to be just a tad bit mechanical which is why you see the cj preamp in my history. The top end extension of the REF-5 is so clean and pristine but never fatiguing. I hear so much more information with the ref-5 and don't find myself straining to hear little bits of information in the background. Therefore my listening session is more relaxed. Everything is openly illuminated. Soundstaging and imaging are remarkable, so much depth and expansiveness. This is the kind of gear that causes you pull out old music and hear what you've been missing. A very exciting and fun piece. I think they finally got it right this time.
LOL, I hear ya! I guess will find that out after it comes out. Hey it may already be on the drawing board.
Actually McIntosh goes up too. However it's all about no compromise quality and for the money ARC is right up at the top.
It really doesn't matter to me if they are able to build it for less money. What matters to me is;were they able to make a significant improvement, I think they did. Further refining and improving something great must be quite a task for R&D there is a cost here too. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to make improvement tweeks in my own system and wind up making it worse . My hat's off to them on the Ref-5. The 2k increase in price is well worth the benefit.
to answer your question. I believe the Ref-5 has a more organic sound to it that the Ref-3, less electronic.