Audio Research Ref 250s for Magnepan 20.1s?

OK, I'm thinking about taking the plunge into large tube amp, upgrading. Will the ARC Ref 250s have enough power for the Magnepan 20.1 speakers? Anyone using this combo? The Ref 750s seem too far out there for me but I would like to hear if someone has experience with either of these? Right now I have ARC Ref 3 preamp and Ref 8 CD player along with Pass Labs XP25 phonopre, VPI table with dynavector cart, and Pass Labs X600.5s. I have plenty of power but had an eye opening experience with a friend's Cary Audio 60 watt triode stereo amp. Nowhere near the power needed but it had qualities I desire such as midrange bloom and wide soundstage without harsh upper end. It was bass shy but I do have Nola subs. Should I sell the pass 600.5s and get ARC ref 250s? or 750s (god forbid)?
powerdoctor

Showing 1 response by minorl

Take a paire of REF 250s home and demo them in your system. Any dealer worth their salt will let you take a pair home for a week or so. You will find these amps to be absolutely wonderful. Also, if you are listening solely to vinyl, then you might want to demo a tube phono stage before getting rid of the pass amp. Take your time and demo equipment first before purchasing. The Audio Research REF Phono stage is the best I have heard and the REF 250 is really nice. But, I would bet that the Pass amp is also really nice, so first demo a tube phono stage and if you aren't happy, then demo the AR REF 250 amp.

enjoy