Audio Research REF 110 or Ref 75

I have an ARC VT100MK2, and a pair of Wilson Watt Puppy 6.
Considering upgrade and was wondering what I would gain buy either of these amps. I have all ARC pre / CD and transparent cables.
What I would like to gain is a bit more control in the low end. A tighter bass punch if you will. While still maintaing the liquid tube sound in the mids.
I listen mostly to classic rock and jazz at lower volumes ( around 80 db ) sometimes I go louder. I considered a solid state amp, but I do love the sound of tubes.

Thank you
vdosc

Showing 4 responses by vdosc

Thanks, I have a Audio Research LS26 Pre amp. Its not a REF 5 which I one day would like to have. But I assumed my amp being older would be the weakest link.
Thanks, this is very useful information, and I do have a sub a JL 110 but I prefer to get the most out of the Wilsons. The sub is really too low, just rumble great for Movie but not as tight and punchy as the Wilsons. It does help a little when listening at very low volumes. I can use it as kind of a loudness control.
I find that integrating a sub for Music with a full range speakers quite difficult. It seems that most of the ones I have heard, do HT very well. And that is their primary market, to shack and rumble the room with sounds of Dinosaurs or explosions all from a small (usually sealed) box with a high wattage power amp built in. And for that they are great. But the Hi-Fi goal is too not only ad bottom extension, but to also ad punch and increase the dynamics or the system. All while not calling attention to itself. For most rock recording this exist in the 50-70 htz and higher range.
Which is difficult I find for these little subs to do without sounding like...a little sub flopping around. Now I have not heard the Wilson Watch Dog sub, it is I am sure very nice, and ported. But it is also very expensive and very heavy!

So my goal is to see what all I can get out the WP6's which sound really really good as is. And BTW since I started this post, I got a pair of Transparent Ultra speakers cables which not only helped the bottom end tighten up, but made everything else sound "right" I was really surprised at how well they work.