Audio Research preamps EXCESSIVE OPERATING COSTS

Soooo disappointing.
So you want to use in home theatre mode.  Get ready to pay up to operate.   The tubes stay on and when family uses system 10 plus hrs a day for tv and videos, the tubes burn away.  Most of the 8 tubes have life of 4000 hrs and cost $150 per tube to replace.  Over 5 years operating costs could approach $5000 or more.  And this excludes wasteful elec costs of $100 to $200 per year for bulbs running without being used.   Sooooo disappointing.

I called audio research and they confirmed all this.  Further, they lacked any sensitivity to theses issues.  Seemed kinda arrogant.  

Sooooo disappointing.
emergingsoul
Reading the OPs issue with Audio Research, I just got a mental picture of their staff leaning in on the conversation while on speaker phone with you and then just cracking up in the back ground as you dredge on about their lack of concern and I wonder, are you their targeted market? Have you considered solid state? Enjoy the music
Who uses tubes for home theatre its a really bad move get solid state asap.Good luck though.
Get a nice av receiver to use with the HT system. 
Do you also want a 2 channel system in the same space ? 

OP already said on another of his threads that he doesn’t like listening to music, one has to wonder why then buy an ARC preamp to watch tv and movies

Quote: "11-04-2020 9:27amAnd I don’t like listening to music very much.

waiting to hear something of value about high end preamps.  Very thin.

lots of marketing hype "

emerging soul I have a Bryston amp that shares double duty. I hook up to Luxman w/the RCA connects and the Balanced to the Krell processor. I just flip the switch on the amp according to what processor I'm using . I E-Mailed James Tanner at Bryston to see if it was OK. He wrote back there was no problem. Saves on tube life as w/most HT/passthroughs you have to leave the preamp on.