Audio Research Dim Read-out on the CD-3 display............

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on the dim readout on the function screen of the Audio Research CD-3 ..........You can hardly read it ???    The cost to repair ???  Any easy fix  ???          THANKS
"Un-dim it"       Mr. Miller , you are just what we need........A person that has nothing to offer and no one to talk to.........Will
Why wouldn't you just contact AR.
Jaybe:     I would if I could get anyone to answer the phone........But that's not the case...........
Post removed 
Well here's the deal from the powers at Audio Research.....The read out panel does go out on these CD-3's with time.........The new panel is 50.00, but they will no longer sell parts to anyone, other than a Audio Research dealer.....But they will repair it for 300.00 plus shipping both ways, which in my case about 55.00 each way.......The Italians that now own Audio Research would like that money to go back home, and I don't mean USA........That's my story 
An obvious question, but can you ask a AR dealer to order it for you? Or is the dealer also going to ask for another $100 to do so?
autospec OP

If your just a little mechanical (ie can you change a tap washer) you can replace this yourself for $70. Just 4 screws and 3 push-on connectors.
I would say to the seller, if it works fine, if not a refund has to be done. 

Cheers George
Funny this...

ARC wants 50 bucks for a new display. The guy on EBAY wants 70 for a used display that is sold as is for repair. And some VFDs just go dim on all kinds of equipment. So if its as old as the one you have now...

ARC repairs are expensive, always were, but they do a pretty good job. Still, I totally hated forking over the money so I get it. $300 seems kind of steep but $50 for the part seems pretty reasonable. You should see their tube prices. If you can find an authorized shop that would swap it for a reasonable labor cost I'd go for it.

If there's no guaranty on the display I think I'd pass. 70 bucks and it doesn't work you're still in the same boat and 70 bucks poorer. Might be a false economy there. 
Its funny , but the 70.00 guy doesn't even say the thing will fit the CD-3.....Its really a shame that Audio Research has to even go this way....Whats a wrong with selling parts to a Audio Research person.....If I need a 3.00 part, how would I ever get one from a dealer....There's no profit, so the dealer isn't going to get it, or it will take forever....It has been taking two weeks to get something from Audio Research....I have over 50 pieces of Audio Research stuff that I can't buy parts direct for anymore.....I probably need to get rid of most of it and call it good....Most of that other Audio Research stuff on ebay is either junk or dug out of the trash at Audio Research....Another great American company heading south ???    Autospec
You ignored my prior question, so here it is again stated differently.  Are you saying that you cannot get a salesman in a shop selling ARC gear to order the part for you if you ask nice and offer him/her $20 or $30 for their trouble?

I would guess that would work, but first I would have to find a dealer.....There's probably none in Idaho. The last time I tried that I ordered the part through a dealer in Seattle and paid for it, I got the wrong part, sent it back and ended up with no part, out the money and in a bad mood about the whole thing......I have worked on electronics my whole life and would be very happy to repair this thing, but the would is changing to a through away economy and if I had any since I would sell all this Audio Research equipment and forget the problems that go with it.....(I have over 50 pieces).....
Some of the part limitations might have something to do with the sale of the company but it may also have something to do with their long term support of the product. The CD-3 has been out of production for a decade. Unless those displays fit something newer its kind of fortunate that you can get one new period. Not all companies could do that. I think usually after a few years they trash can or sell off the spares.
If u really do like the cd3 player just fork over the money and send it to ARC if not forget it and live with it as is.