Audio research 100.2 any good ?????

I am thinking of buying a audio research 100.2 amp . I am driving monitor audio silver 8 speakers and want a nice warm sound . Is the audio research a good amp @ only 100 watts per channel , or should i step up to a parasound a21 ?
nesto719

Showing 7 responses by carmenc

Agree with timlub, the ARC 100.2 is a heck of an amp, but getting perhaps a bit long in the tooth.  Back in the day, it was one of the best.  The Parasound is good.  Also, NAD matches quite well with Monitor Audio.  Good luck.  Regards...

Seperates are certainly great, but not always better.  Depends on your long term goals and your system.   If you're going to keep your MA speakers for awhile I'd look into an integrated that has the features you like.  Creek, NAD or Rega is where I'd start.  The new Creek 50A or 100A integrateds are very smooth and accommodate future phono, tuner and Dac modules.  I had the 50A and it was very good driving Tannoy Precision 6.2. Your source and cables will make a difference as well.  Do a little research and better yet some auditioning if you can.  Try not to get overwhelmed.  The search can be fun.  Keep us posted.  Regards.....

Hi nesto719.  The ARC was sold new in the late '90s/early 2000 so if you could find one in good condition and at the right price, I wouldn't hesitate.  That being said, I would personally have it sent into ARC to have it checked out.  Caps can get worn, etc.. I guess I'd have it checked out just for peace of mind....that's just me.  Any of the newer NAD amps would work well.  Even their Integrateds like the 356/375 would work out very well.  Check out some of the older forums here on synergy with Monitor Audio.  Do you already have a preamp?  I wouldn't necessarily say there is better sound out there as that is quite subjective.  I just bought older Blue Circle gear that I am really enjoying.  Plus, it can be sent into Blue Circle for upgrades.  A tube preamp with a solid state amp may be just what you're looking for to give you some warmth.  Keep us posted.  Regards.....

@nesto719....what kind of budget do you have in mind?  Do you plan on hanging onto the MA for awhile?  What percentage of music vs  movies (h/t)?  This will help.  Thanks.

Yes NAD really!  Never said it was in the same league as the ARC!  I know; I use to own the 100.2.  Just helping the OP do some research and consider different avenues.  Don't forget, he doesn't have a preamp so buying a stellar amp may not make sense at this time.  I've heard NAD driving Vandersteen 2's and Treos.  You'd be shocked perhaps at the great sound being put out by them.  Wouldn't want the NAD long term with the Vandys, but it's a testament to their overachieving ability.  There is certainly nothing wrong with the Creek and Rega integrateds for a long term solution with the Monitor Audio speakers.   May also want to check out the new Belles Aria or Soloist 1.  By the way, I've owned all of these mentioned except for the Aria.  Good luck nesto179!

+1 @stringreen .....I agree.  I owned the ARC 100.2 and although it was quite good in the day, I think it resting on its laurels now and has a nostalgia attached to it.  There are better amps out there now IMHO.   Ayre, Belles, Blue Circle to name a few.  That being said, I've always liked their preamps and tube integrateds.  Regards.....