Audio Physic Virgo 3 vs. Usher's Compass 8571??

I have seen numerous ads for the Usher speaker line manufactured in Taiwan. Maybe I am overally suspicious, but who is Usher and are their speakers "hi-end" products??. Also, Usher's 8571 and Audio Physic's "new" Virgo 3 are almost the same retail price. Has anyone heard or auditioned these two speakers, or even owned them?? (I have heard and read that the Virgo 3 is bright and not the equal of Virgo 2 in smoothness---which is hard to believe) Nevertheless, I am curious how these two speakers, the Virgo 3 and Usher 8571 "stack up" against each other. Both have beautiful cabinet work. Unfortunately, the Usher models are not a household word like the legendary Virgos. All opinions welcomed!!
sunnyjim

Showing 1 response by jfacker

Haven't heard the Ushers, but I have spent some time with the Virgo IIIs connected to various tube and SS rigs. In all cases sources were the same (Linn Ikemi, Sony 500V on SACD) and my impression was that they're a little on the dry side, I woudn't say bright. This isn't necessarily bad, and there are other upstream considerations. Unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to vinyl with the Virgos. But I must say, for soundstaging, spatiality, depth, etc. the Virgos are just awesome. If you are at all concerned with such matters you gotta check em out. I think they would sound fantastic with warmish, rich sounding upstream components rather than steelishly accurate stuff. Even with digital and SS, they sounded really great. I've been kind of spoiled to dryer speakers since I heard the Meadowlark line, which to my ears have a deliciously rich, warm sound. Distortion? Maybe, but I love it. Nevertheless, the Virgos did several things as well as or better than anything else I've heard. Absolutely cavernous soundstage with those things.

Have fun,

Jeff