Audio improvement for OPPO 205

Is audio quality improvement for the Oppo 205/D potentially significant assuming there's no changes to the power supply?
ptss

Showing 5 responses by dlcockrum

As ptss states, all you guys chasing the latest digital chipsets might consider that it is the power supplies in the Oppos, Marantz. Etc players that are holding back the sonics. Adding an Audio Magic Gen Zx clock and a Bybee DC power supply rail to your existing players will have these not-yet-released Mega-MIP players running for cover unless Oppo’s new one sufficiently addresses the power supply shortfalls of the 105.
I cannot argue with any of your points, ricevs, nor do your points argue with mine, excepting possibly someone misconstruing your "Silly Boy" disposition toward my post as condescension toward two SOTA upgrades that are unanimously accepted by estabished modders and their customers for providing significant audible improvement.

Why that you post is if modding a player being a superior path is a source of contention with me, I am baffled. This was exactly my point. As you say, only after attacking the weaknesses in the power section will the improved dac make more than a small incemental difference in sound quality.

Check my Virtual System page if you have further doubts about my experience with and preference for modded digital sources. "I'm sure you will be more than satisfied", as Joe Pesci once said in My Cousin Vinny.

Best to you ricevs,
Dave
Hi Randy,

The mostly overwhelmingly positive reviews of the 105 were critical of leanness in the midrange, a trait shared by most "affordable" digital players. I found this to be true while auditioning a friend’s 105. This is likely attributed to a suboptimal power stage IME as the digital section is TOTL. Even Dan Wright commented on how good the digital section of the 105 is sans modification, so the improvements of the MW 105 version are primarily in the power supply/power filtering (external with a large toroidal transformer) and, of course, adding the tube sections to the player’s output stage and to the power supply.

No experience with the 103.

Best to you Randy,
Dave
lucidear,

That is the DAC for the 203. Are you sure that it is the one to be offered in the 205?

I hope that the 203 is not a preview of the 205 to come (video-centric).

Best to you,
Dave